You Are Here: Home » News » Small restroom fire at Clay-Chalkville HS; 2 minor injuries

Small restroom fire at Clay-Chalkville HS; 2 minor injuries

By Gary Lloyd

CLAY — A small fire is contained in the gym area at Clay-Chalkville High School, according to Principal Michael Lee.

Lee said a student allegedly started a small fire on some paper in a garbage can in a restroom near the gym.

Lee said there were no injuries and the school has been evacuated as a precaution.

“Everything is fine,” Lee said.

Parents should get information soon.

Lee said a coach and custodian put out the fire. The custodian was going to be checked out because he inhaled some smoke, Lee said.

Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Randy Christian said there was “minimal damage.”

Christian said it was “too early” to tell if charges may be filed.

UPDATE at 1:55 p.m.: Christian said deputies responded to a report of a fire in the restroom just before noon Thursday. Two staff members suffered minor injuries extinguishing the fire, he said.

A toilet paper dispenser had been set on fire, causing smoke damage to the restroom. Students have since been allowed back into the school, Christian said.
Christian said a male student was seen on surveillance entering and exiting the restroom just before the fire was discovered. Deputies have identified the student, he said.

Contact Gary Lloyd at news@trussvilletribune.com and follow him on Twitter @GaryALloyd.

Created by FerretNet - (http://www.ferretnet.com), AdLab and Filmdog Media (http://www.filmdogmedia.com). Content & Website Copyright 2012 by the Trussville Tribune.

Scroll to top