jav-legend
You Are Here: Home » Local News » Trussville person arrested in Auburn University protest

Trussville person arrested in Auburn University protest

From Trussville Tribune staff reports

AUBURN — Auburn police released the identities of three people arrested outside of James E. Foy Hall on Tuesday, including one Trussville resident.

The arrest came as white supremacist Richard Spencer was set to give a speech at that location on Tuesday evening.

Benjamin Lee Hansen, 19, of Trussville, was one of the three people whose identities were released. Ryan Matthew King and Seth Miles Waldon were also arrested Tuesday night at 6:21 p.m. according to the arrest reports.

Photos and video showed Hansen with a cloth in his hand that had a padlock attached which he used to repeatedly strike another man.

Benjamin Lee Hansen

Ryan Matthew King

Seth Miles Waldon

“None of the individuals arrested were (Auburn University) students or from this area.Β  I don’t have any info of their affiliation with either side.” Auburn Police Captain Lorenza Dorsey said.

Spencer’s speech was originally cancelled by Auburn on Friday, but a judge ruled the speech could not be cancelled. The issue was locally and nationally debated as to whether the cancellation was a suppression of free speech.

Benjamin Lee Hansen was charged in Auburn disturbance.

Comments

Whatever ….yall keep him

2. Rick Brown says:

Must have been a slow night in Trussville. And, more unmasking with exposure is needed.

3. Matt Coleman says:

I see why it says trussville person now .i wouldn’t know what to call it either geez what is it ? Lol

4. Scott White says:

That’s a guy? Benjamin or Benji?

5. I thought that was a girl when I saw the video.

6. Kim Esary says:

Can we get a better pic of its hair

7. Pat Sullivan says:

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Sure that’s a person? Let’s not offend.

8. He must be a transgender. The makeup probably made people think he was a girl! Guys don’t wear makeup! Just sayin.

9. Mickey Greer says:

Next stop….Target!!!!!

It is what it is ..no pun intended

11. Sooooo, he was wearing a fanny pack and using a scarf as a weapon….

12. Those bangs, tho..

13. Becky Kirbow says:

Very hateful comments on here about a human being. The story isn’t about what this person looks like. It must feel good for some of y’all to sit back and laugh and judge at other people’s expense and hide behind social media to do so. What we call you in school is a BULLY.

14. I thought it was a girl too until I saw his name.

15. Becky Kirbow says:

No problem with that. Just no need for people to make hateful comments.

16. I agree with Becky. This is a person, with a family. Parents, brothers, sisters. If you want to comment on the act, fine, but don’t make it personal. Don’t be cruel.

17. “but I just want to protest and stuff”

18. I know!!! I cannot believe that is benji.

19. Such hateful people with nothing going on I’m their lives so they resort to being high school bullies.

20. I saw him last year at school. All the comments about him are pissing me off. What did he do? Just protest?

21. Aubrey Nicole Best remember him?

22. Me too! Judgmental, hateful people. Yeah he protested and attacked the guy.

23. It has the video on there

24. I’ll watch the video!

25. He is a person with feelings, yeah. Keep your hateful comments to yourself.

26. What part of the video?

27. It’s the video at the bottom. Not the first one of the speech

28. Ted Swartz says:

Thats supposed to be a dude?

29. Just saw it. He didn’t do much. It’s sad.

30. Kinda got the business in the front party in the back going on

31. Good to know I live in a world where white supremacy is acceptable but not following gender norms isn’t.

32. All the hateful comments towards his looks are unnecessary.

33. let’s not forget that this person is someone’s relative.

34. Linda Taylor says:

Don’t pretend any of this is acceptable!!

35. I agree Becky Kirbow… what’s so sad though is these kids are sooo uneducated about things

36. Pat Sullivan says:

I’m just ahead of the curve in terms of self identification. Cool it lady.

37. Blake Hunter says:

She looks hideous.

38. Steven Allen says:

Don’t let all these hateful comments distract you from how awesome his fanny pack is.

39. If you don’t want people commenting on how he looks maybe he should try not get arrested and have his pic posted all over fb cause after that all bets are off.

40. Blake Hunter says:

Dang, super harsh man(?). You should take that comedy on the road! Very funny and totally original, I love it!

41. Thought that was a chic

42. Cindy Wood says:

Gee I wonder where all the kids in school bullying get it from……..

43. Mike Clark says:

The article said he was swinging a cloth with a padlock attached and hitting people with it. Did he? That doesn’t sound like “He didn’t do much”.

44. Gerald Hicks says:

This “person” should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon. Punk.

45. Mickey Greer says:

Would you want to be hit with a padlock???

46. Jerry Rambin says:

Why did the headline say “person”? Has even small town USA papers gone completely PC liberal?

47. TF?! That’s not the benji I knew!

48. I am feeling bad for his parents. This has to be very hurtful for them.

49. Jerry Rambin says:

White supremacy is NOT acceptable, but free speech IS.

50. I’ve known him since I was young and he’s a good guy. Just not in with a good crowd and I will stand up for him. He made a bad decision. Obviously no one would want to be hit with a padlock unless they had sadistic tendencies so that’s really an illogical question to be asking. And compared to the other guy, it doesn’t look like he did much. I don’t actually sit down and dissect complete video’s and articles because I have a job and a life. All I said is it was sad. Which it is. Now I’m gonna go back to my life and my job.

51. Good, I guess his parents failed to teach him right from wrong. I wonder just how they feel about his protesting?

52. This will get thrown out court in a heartbeat..it is not against the law to assault Auburn fans…………..o com’ on folks have a since of humor!

53. Everyone be careful so as not to hurt anyone’s feelings. Anyone stop to wonder why the kid has views like they do? They’ve been coddled their whole life and now people take a sad situation and make jokes about them and people are worried about others sensibilities. That is the biggest joke of all. Little Billy that always got the free pass and never learned about the hardships in life or cruel they can sometimes be is usually the little a hole that winds up shooting up a school. The kid is a prime example of what’s wrong with today’s youth. Don’t want to be the butt of a joke? Then don’t make an ass of yourself.

54. I mean what’s up with the fanny pack?!?! lol πŸ˜‚

55. Looks like he’d hold one in his mouth, for sure.

56. Brad Brewer says:

Till the swelling went down!

57. Scott Key says:

He’s a pretty man

58. Obviously, this kid has many issues.

59. Hud Harris says:

The snowflake sure threw a mean, but limp left handed punch.

60. Joey Blalock says:

If he wasn’t a student and went down there then he was looking for trouble! The best thing any of us could have done was to stay away! The idiot giving the speech was only seeking attention! GOD is and will be his judge!

61. He looks like a damn girl!

62. You know why it says trussville person. Because no one knows what the hell that is!

63. Alan Irvin says:

Well she’s a guy.

64. That “good guy” was beating the crap out of someone until the police stopped him.
    Next time you’re in target pick up padlock and think about getting hit with it when it is attached to something that can multiply the force and speed of the impact. With a few good hits, it could kill.

65. Joey Cobb says:

Mike Mccaleb it was Alabama lol

66. Thomas Bagby says:

Looked like it had Itty Bitty Boobies in the video. Transgender?

67. Keep hateful comments to yourself? Did you see the video that showed this whatever it is, slinging a cloth with a padlock in it at people?

68. Speaking of bullies – it was assaulting people with a sling with a padlock in it! Fair game!

69. You assumed this person’s gender you asshole

70. Mike Mccaleb says:

Even worse!! But I live in Clay so HA!

71. Pat Sullivan says:

I would say this person is was intending to harm people.

72. Brandenburg v. Ohio. SCOTUS ruled that free speech has exceptions. It is also important to know that this decision was made after a Klan member made a speech at a Klan rally that promoted white supremacy and advocated for violence.

73. Kayti Quick says:

Love how everyone comments on someone’s sexuality, but the white supremist giving a speech at a local university is free game. That’s Lily white Trussville for you. Just saying. All of you look ridiculous. Even if what he was doing wasn’t necessary, none of these comments have any relevance to anything going on here.

74. Kayti Quick says:

Remember, violence is only okay if it favors their side of the argument. The rest of us are snowflakes. The fact everyone here made it fit to comment on his sexuality before asking why a white supremacist is speaking at a University I’m sure many people here have children with says all you need to know about hillbilly, Lily white Trussville. I don’t know what happened, I’m not saying I condone what this person did, but some of these comments were sickening and downright unnecessary. People hide behind their “free speech” and then their kids get bullied or become bullies and they can’t figure out where it starts.

75. I got it, State Farm commercial lol

76. Another one that doesnt know which bathroom to use. You will be a girl in prison.

77. Eryn Ray says:

Does it really matter

78. Eryn Ray says:

Mileia Ray is that Benji??

79. Well I just would like to call him or she

80. Josie Smith says:

I thought he was a girl

81. Mileia Ray says:

How about you just don’t refer anything and mind your own business.

82. Mileia Ray says:

You have no idea about his home life or anything? How could you assume so much and be so naive.

83. Brooke Carr Andy Binion Ashley McCown Sprague please just read what the wonderful “adults” in this wonderful town have to say. #bigots

84. Tammy McCown where ya atttt

85. Karson Moore says:

Christy Chambers Kelsey Falkner comments

86. I have a problem that people are talking about someone’s gender and not what was happening but whatever….

87. πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎ

88. ROLLING MY DAMN EYES AT 98% OF THE PEOPLE ON THIS THREAD. Those so claimed “adults” who should be tending to their families & not worrying about how someone looks or dresses….

89. Everyone I’ve looked at is also posting pictures about Jesus loving everyone on their page…. but where’s the compassion and love from them?? I’ll wait…

90. Kelsey Falkner me waiting

91. Can you not focus on the bigger issue than looks? Ya know, like what the arrest was actually for? I’m prettttty sure it wasn’t looks….

92. Or we could worry about the actual arrest and not the hair. Just a little food for thought.

93. Excuse ME I AM NOT THE ONE WHO PUT OUT ON SOCIAL MEDIA DUH!!!!

94. Andrew Smith says:

Why y’all even post stuff like this? She got n trouble big deal but don’t have to let the whole world know especially for something this stupid smh

95. It’s pathetic how you guys can’t see the bigger picture here. All you see is an opportunity to make fun of someone… Feeling a little low in life? He maybe an idiot.. but if he was your child you wouldn’t want all this shit being said? His life choices aren’t effecting you. The poor boy deleted his facebook because grown Ass adults can’t seem to keep their mouth shut. Grow up. See the bigger picture or move the fuck on.

96. The Trussville Tribune it’s pretty pathetic that you guys are even allowing all this. Freedom of speech? Maybe. Yet you guys are keeping this post up letting grown members of your own town attack and bully a child. All of you should be ashamed of yourself. If this kid hurts him self, it’s on y’all.

97. And you’re a narrow minded bigot

98. Must be your bitch.

99. I thought he was a girl. My bad.

100. Cecil Sharps says:

a 19 year old assaulting people with a lethal weapon is many things. A child it is not. or did you miss the bit about wrapping a padlock in a scarf and swinging it at people?

101. I never said his actions were great. He’s was acting like an idiot. But that doesn’t mean society needs to go this far either.

102. I wonder if he dressed up like a woman so he wouldn’t be attacked. He was hitting with a padlock. What a coward piece of crap. Or he is a Target tranny, who knows. Just another piece of crap!

103. Destini Goodwin get a clue.

104. He/she is not a child. So you condone violence, why? Because you are ignorant?

105. She? Really, he was hitting people with a padlock. So you promote violence? How ignorant!

106. Hmmm, yeah I’m all for people being beat with a padlock…? How ignorant

107. I’m glad you can readπŸ˜‚πŸ‘

108. Not once did any of us say that beating someone with a padlock was okay??? What we have a problem with is that no one talked about the facts of what happened and almost everyone decided to ONLY speak about the persons gender.

Unless you read something we wrote that said we agree with being hit with a padlock than I really don’t why you decided to call us ignorant, let alone comment at all…

109. Karson Moore says:

“I have a problem that people are talking about someone’s gender and not what was happening but whatever….” sounds A LOT like “I’m for people beating someone with a padlock” to me too!! How dare you Kelsey Falkner

110. You’re right…. I’m ignorant… because I can separate what someone looks like vs. what someone did to be arrested. But I’m the ignorant here.