You Are Here: Home » Local News » Teen arrested for Center Point carnival shooting

Teen arrested for Center Point carnival shooting

From Trussville Tribune staff report

JEFFERSON COUNTY — Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office has confirmed an arrest has been made and charges filed in the Center Point carnival shooting.

Laeric Bailey, 17, of Birmingham, is a Huffman High School student. He was arrested earlier this week in connection with the shooting.

According to the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office, a group of teens at the annual spring carnival held at Cathedral of the Cross began arguing and then fighting.

Laeric Bailey Photo courtesy Jefferson County Jail

During the fight, Bailey allegedly pulled a gun and began firing as he ran away. He is the only suspect who fired shots, according to police.

The shooting occurred Saturday night just after 9:30 p.m. at the Cathedral of the Cross’s annual spring carnival.

Three teenagers, ages ranging from 16 to 18 years old, were injured by gunfire as well as a child less than one year old. A pregnant woman who was running from the gunfire was knocked down and injured as well.

Two more people were later discovered to have been driven to a hospital in a private car with minor injuries from reported gunshot wounds. Four of the victims including the one-year-old were struck by single shots in the leg area, one victim was struck in the elbow and one grazed in the shoulder.

He has been charged as an adult with second degree assault, but more charges are expected.

Comments

1. Jeff Mills says:

This is truly a sad story for all involved. Let’s see who this gets blamed on.

2. Hope said teen is held responsible and punished appropriately for this!

3. I am soo glad they didn’t go!!

4. Second degree assault ? What about attempted man slaughter , discharging a fire arm in public area is guaranteed a couple years prison , and a whole bunch of other shit like he’s 17 with a hand gun smh

5. Sounds like he’s a big P@$$@. Fired shots as he ran away. Lol

6. Black lives be mattering like a mofo around here….

7. Kevin Small says:

I blame it on not enough traffic cameras in Centerpoint.

8. whats going on with all the youth today back in the day teenagers didnt run around with guns and wanting to harm others I blame a lot of this on their parents

9. Susan Gill says:

I hope he gets charged with more then just second degree assault. He could have easily killed multiple people.
    People out trying to have a good time and this guy ruined it for everyone there.

10. Great job guys !!!! Keep his ass in jail forever

11. Ricky Farmer says:

2 bad things from Huffman this week and I know the majority is good kids.

12. Deanna Hunt says:

Lol it is the parents fault. Not being concerned enough with what your kids are into.

13. Jeff Mills says:

Deanna Hunt you are absolutely right.

14. Greg Widick says:

Yes ..this definitely was a non-caring reckless act of unnecessary violence enacted on a large public group of people. Possible Terrorism

15. Greg Widick says:

First time I’ve heard the name Eric used in this way … Laeric ? Where do the names come from ?

16. Here’s a pic of him with friends!!

17. Thug… lock his ass up for good!

18. Trey Isbell says:

They’re all cowards these days. Yeah a fist fight would get you suspended but we never thought about killing people because of an argument.

You raise your fits, you trade some blows and you move on.

You don’t end someone’s life because you disagree on some trivial issue. They’re teenagers. Not world nations. What could they have been arguing about?

19. What is wrong with people!!?

20. I don’t know, Deanna Hunt. I was very strict and tried to be on top of everything but I had to learn to never say, ” my kid would never” cause they both did some stuff. They grew to be good men and don’t shoot people but the last few years seems like a different world. I would hate to be bringing one up now.

21. Deanna Hunt says:

I raised 2 boys the things they told us could make your skin crawl. I always say never let them see you cry & never give up the fight. We lost one of our sons and the other recently turned 39 has a wife and child. He tells us we did good and he is a close friend now. We were not strict we were honest, no sugar coating things life isn’t a fairly tale you only get one go round.

22. I’m sorry about the one you lost. I’m close to both of mine now. But by the grace of God.