jav-legend
You Are Here: Home » Business » Edgar’s Bakery plans downtown Trussville location

Edgar’s Bakery plans downtown Trussville location

From The Trussville Tribune staff reports

TRUSSVILLE –The list of new additions to Trussville’s downtown district just keeps growing.

The city council plans to consider an agenda item on Tuesday night that will authorize mayor Buddy Choat to sign a real estate agreement with Dotry Enterprises for 156 Main Street, the former location of the Sticks and Stuff furniture store. If all goes as planned, Terry and Dottie Smith will build their eighth Edgar’s Bakery location in the heart of the Trussville downtown district.

Terry Smith said he and his wife, Dottie, have been eyeing Trussville for several years with hopes of expanding into the area. The downtown redevelopment and the availability of the Main Street property were the right fit for their vision. Β The development will include the entire block.

“I grew up in the eastern area and graduated from Huffman,” Terry Smith said. “My best friend’s father owned the hardware store in Trussville, so I know this side of town very well. With everything going on in downtown Trussville, it’s just really exciting for us. The location and timing, everything was right for what we wanted.

“Since we opened the Colonnade, people have been coming in and asking us to open in Trussville. It’s been the number one place that our customers have requested that we have a location.”

Choat said the process of getting the right fit for Edgar’s has taken time, but he knew the end result would be right for the city.

“I’ve been talking to Terry and Dottie for at least four years, starting with the location where Moe’s is now,” Choat said. “When I took office, they were two of the first people I called. This is the type business that’s the perfect fit for the city’s downtown plan.”

The city purchased the property when Sticks and Stuff closed in hopes of clearing the lot and making it available for private development. If approved, the purchaser will have 60 days of due diligence. The purchase price has not been announced, but will be part of the public agreement.

Smith said they could close on the property in about 60 days with construction beginning shortly after. He expects to open sometime in the first quarter of 2018.

Dave Reese of Turner Batson Architects will design the freestanding building for Edgar’s. Reese is the lead architect for the Trussville Redevelopment Authority and has designed the downtown plan as well as most of the exterior renovations for the existing buildings.

“Dave designed our production facility and we loved working with him,” Smith said. “He’s already done all this work in downtown Trussville, so we know he can get us the right design.”

Smith said there is some consideration of having about 2,000 square feet of retail space to lease out in addition to the bakery and cafe, that that determination has not yet been made.

Comments

1. Natalie Strickland Lisa Crosby Strickland

2. Ashleigh Silas I’m moving in

3. Paula Hyde says:

Strawberry Cake!!!!

4. Ashli Watson Posey Melanie Boone Hiott. Oh my. I see Italian cream cake in your future.

5. Oh, wow! My Trussville friends will be pleased. We love our Huntsville Edgar’s.

6. Karan Keim Lindsay Danielle Keim!!

7. Jennifer Johnson Jones

8. Oh hell….there goes my diet! Lol

9. LaShaundra Owens Waites girl look!!!

10. Oh my. I’m in trouble. #strawberrycake

11. Yes lawd!!!!! Meghan Shanice…I’m still waiting for my lil slice of heaven my friend…

12. We’re going to have to make way for a new gym and possibly a weight watchers.

13. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ if I get out he house today I’ll get you one

14. OMGOSH! Are we the luckiest or what? ‘t wait!

15. Makayla Smith….soon we will be able to enjoy an unlimited amount of Strawberry cake

16. Chris Wojdula!!!!

17. Lauren Srofe Loren Henderson

18. Jennifer Jebeles Beaver Jennifer Henderson Lee

19. Strawberry cake!! YUM!!!

20. needs to be we have donuts!!!

21. Jessica Toro Hardisson

22. Amber Chesser we are in trouble!

23. Stop it. Joy Nabers Askins Josh Tinnell

24. Kathy Haynes #strawberrycake

25. This is dangerous newsπŸ˜‚

26. Pam Mitchell Reaves Hathcock

27. Ma Li says:

😡 hay que ir. !!

28. If I didn’t think we made the right decision already, this would confirm that we did. I’m about to get so fat.

29. Doesn’t The Three Earred Rabbit bake a delicious strawberry cake already?

30. As good as it is, I must admit…. $30 bucks for a cake πŸŽ‚ is a little pricey.

31. Adam Noda Lidia Noda

32. Teresa Herrin Hyatt

33. Keely Valentino Guillot

34. Jennifer Moore this isn’t good. Lol

35. Teresa Dollar Shunnarah
    Brenda Jones Reid
    Hannah Golden Shunnarah
    Valerie Desiree Reed
    Alana Reid Henderson

36. But that icing πŸ˜‚

37. This is not good for me!

38. Just saw this and I’ve already texted Kelly πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

39. Yay!!! Best strawberry cake around.

40. I know, I know….to heck with the cake part! πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹

41. Joy Triggs Tyner their strawberry cupcake it to die for!

42. I am concerned for the Three Earred Rabbit. We don’t need multiples of the same type business within a mile from each other. I wish the council would monitor this and have some loyalty to the small businesses that have remained downtown through thick and thin.

43. I am lost for words! I’m doomed! I will soon be on my 600 lb life!

44. Jimmie Vines Tina Vines Hill

45. Vickie Cobb says:

I agree Vonne! Many of the small business who have tried to stay open during down economic times will probably go under with bigger businesses coming in and competing with them. You may get a Edgar’s but lose three earned rabbit and chocolate biscuit. People who have been in Trussville for years and supported Trussville!

46. Gina Pickett Harris !!!

47. I think Three Earred Rabbit and Edgar’s can exist together peacefully. Each have unique things that they do well. Who can be against getting rid of the “parking lot” that used to be Sticks and Stuff. I was afraid that’s what it was going to become. Better ideas? Go to a City Council meeting.

48. It’s like a dream come true

49. This excites me so and yet I’m afraid for my behind… #edgarsstrawberrycake #thiswillruinmydiet

50. Oh, exciting. Can’t wait.

51. I am so excited about this.

52. Agreed,we don’t multiples of certain types of businesses. So why are there a cluster of auto repair places in downtown. Why was a Chipotle and a Mattress Firm built right across the street from Habaneros and Bedzz Express? I know that part of town is probably B’ham.

53. Ashley Roberts Entrekin

54. Pamela Taylor Franklin

55. Lindsey Maddox Bowman, Freda Maddox Carmichael All the strawberry cake!!!

56. Brandi Parker Gudwien!!!

57. 😱 oh no, that’s not good for me-I have such a sweet tooth and they have all the things I love!πŸ™ˆ

58. You have no idea how much that excites me!!!! ❀️❀️❀️

59. Oh this could make for a bad habit! πŸ˜€

60. Omg!!! That’s awesome but damn…… there goes my diet.

61. Joy Denise says:

Christy Carr and you still live there!!! Hahahaha good luck!!

62. Fantastic!!! I am one of the people that have been asking them to come to Trussville. Please make this work out. We need a bakery!!! Thanks!!

63. Katie Gibson says:

Mary Thrash Gibson!!

64. Well the Trussville Weight Watchers staff should be thrilled today with this announcement !! Lol

65. Bevan Cross Ansley Cross

66. Hey Jo Ann. I’ve thought often about all the folks from Chalkvilke.

67. I love the strawberry cake and the B. L T green tomatoes.

68. So excited to have Quiche for lunch.

69. I know!!! We are in so much trouble… I can walk there for lunch! They have amazing chicken salad too!!

70. Myla Thomas says:

I will still go to The Three Eared Rabbit. It’s special in it’s own way.

71. Reese Levert says:

I love Edgar’s Bakery! I’m joining Weight Watchers in Trussville before the grand opening!

72. Sarah Turner says:

🀣there goes my diet!!!

73. Susan Harper says:

Lyn Mardant Between Edgar’s and Panera Bread, my world is complete!

74. Oh my!!!!! Can’t wait!

75. Considering they can barely handle the stores they have open now, I don’t see how they can handle this. Oh well, not my problem πŸ˜‰

76. Geoff White says:

Excellent choice for the type of business downtown needs to attract. Kristy

77. ZOMG LADIES I WILL SEE Y’ALL THERE

78. Chloe will be wanting to come stay every day! πŸ˜‚

79. Judy Barnes! Oohhh no!! Lol

80. As I sit here eating a thumbprint from Edgar’s, I am glad to hear this!

81. This makes me sooo happy!

82. Oh no, I can feel the pounds already!

83. Mary Wood says:

I shop in Trussville often so this makes me happy!

84. Yum. I loved Edgar’s when we lived in b’ham

85. Yay! Wonderful News!!!

86. With that type of thinking we need to remove at least half the banks. Do we really need a Regions less than a mile from another Regions? Do we really need 6 banks within a mile of each other?

87. Vickie Cobb says:

Yes it is! If Trussville residents will support Trussville businesses the way Homewood does every business would prosper

88. Hey, I am thrilled about Edgar’s but I don’t want
    anything to happen to the businesses that have always been here.

89. Lisa McCarty says:

There goes my beach body

90. Jake Perry Amanda Glidewell Stephanie Mattox Hurst Samantha M. Hurst

91. Just read that! Tracy Mattox McDonald

92. Sonya Smith says:

Crystal Morgan Walker don’t tell Josh!

93. He already knows! I’m doomed.

94. Marc Ward says:

Love that last line!

95. Nan Silas says:

Oh I’m excited

96. I found the article Avivi Osborne Behel, it will be where Sticks and Stuff was.

97. Mac Gentry-Stinson April Pinkie I’m bout sick of y’all!

98. Sandra Long says:

I might be in trouble now!!!

99. Yes! Not artificial strawberry flavor either. I’d rather have the good, quality stuff😜

100. Gina Atkins says:

It’s about time! Glad it’ll be downtown.

101. LOL!!! Weezzzzz about to blow up over here on the Eastside of town!!! πŸ’°πŸ’°πŸ’° April P. she can’t stop our stunting!!! LOL!!!!! La’La’Shara Gentry Long

102. April Pinkie says:

Mac Gentry-Stinson They didn’t like us when we were grinding like Puff… now we are shining like Diddy πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

103. Joe Ellis says:

Can’t wait!!!
    Adria

104. Fink I am dead!!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

105. April…….I’m screaming!!! Too darn funny & so true!!! 🀣🀣🀣

106. April Pinkie says:

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

107. Laura Wilson says:

Sharon Deason Davis

108. Ann Brown says:

Great News Thanks Tribune!!!!

109. Yeah I saw this! Excited !!

110. Well…we are in lease negotiations right now to open a Great Harvest Bread Co downtown as well…so I guess there will be lots to choose from!

111. I know!! And we have a Panera bread opening soon, and a Zoe’s! And hobby lobby and ulta already opened!!

112. Laura Wilson says:

Sharon Deason Davis I’ll be going SHOPPING when I come visit!

113. I don’t believe you anymore when you say you’re going to visit. You tease me.

114. Laura Wilson says:

Sharon Deason Davis girl, don’t think I’ve cancelled because I wanted to. I just don’t have any money so come to think of it, i won’t be shopping because we will have to save up to even get there first. lol

115. lol I get it. Been borrowing from peter to pay Paul myself.

116. Renee Gordon Boshell
    Emily Wideman

117. This is life changing…

118. Yes The Rabbit’s strawberry cake is the best thing I’ve ever tasted!!! πŸ˜‹

119. Can’t wait love them

120. Cindy Shackelford dies this make you happy?

121. Indeed!!! 😍😍😍😍

122. Woo Hoo, I can hardly wait! Love to bake but the older I get the better I love just letting Edgar’s do it!

123. Sharon, this is going to be great.

124. Me, too…Cindy Cindy Newsome Holley! i have been craving petit fours for a while and havent been able to find one.

125. We have them at The Three Earred Rabbit

126. Emily Fields says:

The Three Eared Rabbit has a great bakery with amazing baker.

127. This is fantastic news!!! Trussville needs a bakery in the worst way!!! I never can find a place close by to get high quality baked goods!

128. I have lived in Trussville for 43 years and have never been to the Three Eared Rabbit and did not know that they made cakes. Actually, I don’t know what they have there. Do they advertise? I have looked for places to get good quality cakes and never knew that they made cakes.

129. Ian Maddox says:

There is another way of looking at this. More business coming to Trussville period and downtown specifically is exactly one of the reasons the city is able to push forward its downtown redevelopment plan that includes massive infrastructure improvements. Sidewalks, parking, lighting, a grant program for facade improvements for existing business. An eventual amphitheater for small, outdoor performances right on Pinchgut creek. All of this means lots of people coming downtown to shop, eat, play. From that perspective the city is bending over backwards to help drive business (for old/existing and new) and create a new culture downtown.

130. When God answers prayers but you’re back on weight watchers! I’ll take still lol! Angela McRae-Hooks

131. Agree. I’ve eaten there many times. Thanks.

132. Woo hoo! Won’t have to drive so far!

133. Jodi Billings yeah they are opening up one close to me!:)

134. Shante Ross says:

LaShundra Atkins Giles

135. I saw that and thought about you πŸ˜‚

136. I cannot wait!!!!! Will be open by the end of May? Lol! I’m pretty jealous

137. Unfortunately not until 2018.

138. Whoa that’s way too far away

139. Larry Bailey says:

Where in Trussville.

140. I think where sticks and stuff use to be

141. Kristen Knight Viikinsalo walking distance!!

142. I smell BIG TROUBLE Amanda Viikinsalo!!!