jav-legend
You Are Here: Home » Obituaries » Jay (Jane Marie) Griffin

Jay (Jane Marie) Griffin

Jay (Jane Marie) Griffin, a student at Hewitt-Trussville Middle School, took his own life on Thursday morning, May 25, 2017.

Jay (Jane Marie) Griffin

Jay is survived by his parents, Matt and Erin Georgia; his sisters, Julia and Anna Georgia; his maternal grandmother, Jane Griffin; his paternal grandparents, Greg and Cathy Georgia; and predeceased by his maternal grandfather Monty Griffin.

Jay was born at Camp Lejeune Naval Hospital, in Jacksonville, NC on November 26th, 2003 to United States Marine Corps Corporal Erin Georgia. Jay has extended paternal family, Jimmie Colon and his mother Carmen Reyes, who currently reside in Orlando,Florida. Jay lived in North Carolina, California, Georgia, and finally Trussville, Alabama during his 13 years of life.

Jay was first and foremost a beautiful spirit. From Jay’s scouting years in American Heritage Girls, to experimenting in youth lacrosse, and to playing clarinet in the middle school band, Jay grew more confident in discovering his true identity as Jay Griffin. From that personal moment of self-discovery to his more public declarations of identity, Jay was an advocate for the LBGTQ community. Between publicly educating friends and family on proper pronoun use, and privately struggling with being called by his birth name and gender, Jay continued searching for the ever-elusive balance of social acceptance and personal validation.

It is because of his bright spirit and personal struggles that many lives have been changed and many more questions will be pondered. Unprompted, Jay would tell them to challenge what they think they know and to discuss all perspectives.

n lieu of flowers, Jay’s parents ask that donations be made to the Magic City Acceptance Center in Birmingham AL, a safe supportive, and affirming space for LBGTQ youth, young adults and their allies. https://donorbox.org/embed/magic-city-acceptance-center

Services for Jay Griffin are scheduled for Tuesday, May 30th at First United Methodist in Trussville, AL. Family visitation starts at 3 p.m., and then opens to the public at 4 p.m. The funeral service will begin at 5 p.m., with light refreshments and reception immediately following.

Comments

1. This is a beautiful tribute! May he Rest In Peace!

2. Beautifully written. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

3. This is a very nice tribute. My thoughts and prayers are with this family. May God comfort them during this difficult time.

4. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

5. Hurts my heart praying for the family

6. RIP now young soul. Prayers for the family

7. Josie Smith says:

Praying for family

8. How tragic! My thoughts are with his family ❤️

9. How tragic! My thoughts are with his family ❤️

10. Middle school is the 9 cycles of hell in 1 building especially for anyone a little different or trying to find their place in the world. I admire this family’s honesty and openness. This tribute touched my heart. My prayers are with them.

11. Middle school is the 9 cycles of hell in 1 building especially for anyone a little different or trying to find their place in the world. I admire this family’s honesty and openness. This tribute touched my heart. My prayers are with them.

12. Dana Simpson says:

Prayers and love for this family….

13. Dana Simpson says:

Prayers and love for this family….

14. Continued prayers for this sweet family. Prayers continue for his friends, classmates and teachers.

15. Continued prayers for this sweet family. Prayers continue for his friends, classmates and teachers.

16. Agreed. My children never faced such mean and ugly bullies as they had to endure during Middle School.

17. Agreed. My children never faced such mean and ugly bullies as they had to endure during Middle School.

18. Madeline Kennedy Hopkins

19. Madeline Kennedy Hopkins

20. Jamie Hall says:

Heart breaking right now. I had heard through my son about this, but had no details. Middle school is such a tough time of trying to figure Life out. My prayers are for this family and all those who knew them.

21. Jamie Hall says:

22. Praying for this family! Middle school is horrible!

23. Praying for this family! Middle school is horrible!

24. Yes and your child being popular doesn’t make them immune. I hope everyone who hears this story talks to their children about bullying and being bullied.

25. Yes and your child being popular doesn’t make them immune. I hope everyone who hears this story talks to their children about bullying and being bullied.

26. Praying for the family

27. Praying for the family

28. This hurts my heart so bad. I hope his soul is at rest now. I love him and don’t know him. Bless him and his family.

29. This hurts my heart so bad. I hope his soul is at rest now. I love him and don’t know him. Bless him and his family.

30. My heartbreak … praying for this family!

31. My heartbreak … praying for this family!

32. Matt Coleman says:

I pray for the morals of this country. mental illness is running rampant in our society

33. Matt Coleman says:

34. Kem Sims says:

Prayers for his family and loved ones.

35. Kem Sims says:

Prayers for his family and loved ones.

36. Beautifully written tribute, RIP.

37. Beautifully written tribute, RIP.

38. Bless this family. Kindness anywhere (middle school etc) starts with you.

39. Bless this family. Kindness anywhere (middle school etc) starts with you.

40. Praying for this family so sorry for the loss of such a beautiful soul!!

41. Praying for this family so sorry for the loss of such a beautiful soul!!

42. Traci Biggs says:

prayers for the family

43. Traci Biggs says:

prayers for the family

44. Beautifully written. Prayers and strength for the family in the days ahead

45. Beautifully written. Prayers and strength for the family in the days ahead

46. My deepest condolences to this grieving family. Special prayers of comfort to all that loved him. As a parent, my heart ached reading this. It is my prayer his mom finds peace knowing her baby is at rest.

47. My deepest condolences to this grieving family. Special prayers of comfort to all that loved him. As a parent, my heart ached reading this. It is my prayer his mom finds peace knowing her baby is at rest.

48. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

49. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

50. Prayers for this family. No parent should have to bury their child. My heart aches. Such a beautiful tribute.

51. My heart breaks for this family. Praying for his family and friends.

52. Let his life be a challenge to us all to never take for granted another soul in pain. This type of loss can be prevented with acceptance and love. God, give peace and grace to this family.

53. My heart is breaking! That’s just terrible!

54. Prayers for comfort.

55. So senseless. We need to talk to our children about how above all, kindness. Donation made.

56. Reading this tribute made me think of the words from a song “this world was never meant for you as beautiful as you”. Rest In Peace Jay Jane Marie.

57. Cynthia Ray says:

We send our condolences and prayers for peace for his family.

58. Sending prayers up for the family Jesus comfort them..

59. Prayers for your family

60. Prayers for the family. So very sorry for your loss.

61. Carolyn Cox says:

My heart hurts for this family. God bless them! My prayers are being sent for them!

62. Dianne Vick says:

SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS!!

63. Katrina Hays says:

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

64. Regardless of your stance on LGBT+ issues, the loss of a young life is still a tragedy. Your comment is in poor taste. Show some respect.

65. It’s so sad that parents don’t teach their children to not be so superficial, cruel and think they are better than the child next to them-especially over things as dumb as clothing or hairstyles. Every snotty little brat bully should be caught, expelled and sent to Anti-Bullying/a dose of humility camps. There’s way too much allowance for kids to pick on those who aren’t in their little groups or who don’t dress like sheep following the herd.

66. Kathy Hedden says:

Many prayers going up to the family, friends and anyone touched by this sweet soul.

67. Beautiful tribute. Prayers being sent.

68. This is a grieving family that just lost a 14 year old due to suicide and thats what you comment on? This isn’t the appropriate place to discuss your opinion.

69. Jake Vetters says:

You are without doubt the ill one here Mr.Coleman.

70. These are the kind of people that raise the bullies, under the guise of moral superiority.

71. Love and peace for this family.

72. Praying for the family and friends.

73. Your morals say it’s ok to leave a rude and hateful comment on the family tribute for a teenager who has just died? You should seek help for the mental illness that made you think that’s ok!

74. I have such respect for this family’s willingness to be open. May they receive peace and comfort. May this cause people to THINK before they speak.

75. Ann Brown says:

So sad praying for the Griffin family.

76. Linda Hickey says:

Praying for this family

77. Prayers for the family .

78. Praying for comfort and peace for this family.

79. Prayers and peace for this family

80. Lynn Stadler says:

Prayers for Her family

81. Grace and peace to all who are missing Jay….and to those whose lives he touched

82. Matt Coleman says:

Calm down folks ! This is my opinion I’m not attacking anyone on here including the family .if y’all don’t like what I post don’t read it ,or simple move on .god bless you all

83. Matt Coleman says:

I see there is five of y’all that thought it was good morals to attack me for an opposing opinion ! That’s the way to teach our kids to live great job

84. I understand you have your opinion but please educate yourself before forming said opinion. Morals and mental illness have absolutely nothing to do with one another.

85. Praying for comfort , peace and the Holy Spirits presence with this family.

86. Prayers for the family. May the life of your child inspire others to be kinder and to seek to understand, not judge.

87. Sending my condolences and love to the family.

88. Dawn Staub says:

What a wonderful tribute!! Thoughts and prayers to his family & friends!

89. Mandy Page says:

He sounded like a very intelligent child. My heart hurts for this family. I couldn’t imagine the pain they are going through. People shouldn’t judge others and accept all. My children are raised to be kind to all and to never go along or not speak up if they witness bullying. It is never ok. God made us all different for a reason. Praying for peace and comfort for the family and friends.

90. My prayers for her family and friends

91. Beautiful tribute. Prayers for his friend.

92. Praying for my sweet cousin over this terrible loss and her children and grandchildren!

93. *Friends & family…

94. So very sad. Middle school is such a horrible time of life, especially for those that are different in any way. Beautifully written obit. My heart goes out to this family. This child us same age as my own son. I can’t imagine. Prayers.

95. Praying for Jane and her family.

96. Chris Berry says:

No disrespect but it’s he

97. Tragic. A terrible loss. May the family find some peace.

Praying for comfort

99. Nikaa Jordan says:

You mean Jay and his family,
    I’m sure.

100. Nikaa Jordan says:

*his family. ❤️

101. I can’t stop thinking about this family. I hurt for them and Jay.

102. Zac Abramson says:

I’m praying for his family and for those who do harm to people like Jay.

103. Chris Berry says:

Nikaa Jordan yes I was meaning to correct the pronoun that Bettye used 🙂

104. RIP brother. To the family, I’m extremely saddened by your loss. I know losing a child is a harrowing experience. I donated some “flowers” to the acceptance center, but if I can help in absolutely any other way please let me know. Parent to parent and Marine to Marine.

You guys are in my thoughts.

105. Nikaa Jordan says:

Chris Berry I intended to reply to Bettye, not you. 😊

106. I can’t even imagine what this family is and has gone through but my heart bleeds for them. May God comfort you as only He can do.

107. Prayers for the family