You Are Here: Home » Local News » Trussville 6-year-old dies from injuries suffered in car wreck

Trussville 6-year-old dies from injuries suffered in car wreck

By Scott Buttram, publisher

TRUSSVILLE –Maggie Bowles, 6, of Trussville, has died from injuries suffered in a car wreck on Saturday, her aunt Leigh Stovall confirmed to the Tribune. Stovall is the sister of Maggie Bowles’ mother, Kelly Bowles.

Maggie Bowles.
Photo via Kelly Bowles Facebook

Shawn Bowles, along with his daughter Maggie, were traveling on Happy Hollow Road when they slowed down to turn into a driveway and were struck from behind, according to Stovall.

“There were three vehicles involved in the wreck,” Trussville Fire and Rescue chief Tim Shotts said. “It occurred just after 2 p.m. on Saturday near the intersection of Happy Hollow Road and Riverbend. One vehicle was struck from behind. We transported the little girl in that vehicle and she was critical at the time.”

The collision left Maggie Bowles unconscious as personnel from TFRD arrived to render aid.

Maggie had been in the intensive care unit at Children’s Hospital of Alabama since the wreck. Tests given in the last two days showed no brain activity, the family shared on the Facebook group Miracle for Maggie.

“Maggie has received exceptional care from Hillary, Addie, James, Rhiannon and Clare,” Stovall said on behalf of Kelly and Shawn Bowles. “Dr. Youngblood has been with us every step of the way. Her compassion and care has gone above and beyond our expectation of a pediatrician. We could not have weathered this storm without her.”

Kelly and Shawn Bowles have repeatedly expressed their appreciation for the support in the Trussville community and from across the country. Over 18,000 people joined the Facebook group to show their support of Maggie and offer prayers and encouragement to the family. On Monday, hundreds gathered for a candlelight prayer vigil.

“We know that many will want to give,” Stovall said. “In lieu of flowers, please send your donations in memory of Maggie to Forward in Faith Ranch. There is a PayPal donation link at bottom of page. Or mail donations to Trussville Girls Softball Association – TGSA P.O. Box 525, Trussville, AL 35173.”

Related: A Go Fund Me Campaign has been set up for the family.

During he last week, the support for the Bowles family grew daily with messages arriving from around the United States. The family kept people informed with daily updates in the Facebook group.

“There once was a strong and sassy girl,” Stoval posted Friday morning. “She was not afraid to meet you and talk, laugh and cry, joke and learn. Her light was bright. So bright that her light shone across the world.

“The events that unfolded around her touched people and mobilized the body of Christ. They cried and prayed. Her story made people talk and hug. These events reminded everyone how fragile and precious life is. People loved more and found it easier to be honest and vulnerable in a world that expects you to be perfect and without fault or trouble.

“The body of Christ found unity around her story and renewed strength in the Lord God.

“She could love because she was so deeply loved. Her love will continue making a difference — through her donations and the miracles of modern medicine, many children she didn’t even know will experience a more abundant life — and she lives on.

“She was fierce and we will be fierce as we tell her story.”

Comments

1. I am so very sorry. Prayers for her family from the Mobleys.

2. Deidra Smith says:

Heartbreaking news. Sending many thoughts and prayers out to the family.

3. So sad.
    While heaven has gained an angel, this family has lost their angel.
    Prayers for the family through this trying time.

4. Broken hearted for this family. Praying

5. Debbie Scott says:

She’s healed laying in the arms of Jesus we will be praying for peace and understanding for this family

6. So sorry this is sad prayers for this family.

7. I’m so sorry to hear this news. Prayers for the family and friends.

8. My heart goes out to the family. RIP little one.

9. Praying for family

10. Amy Stewart says:

Who laughed at this?? So sad

11. Mabel Finney says:

Prayers and love to the family

12. Praying for the family during this difficult time

13. That’s what I’m saying… maybe they accidentally clicked the wrong one

14. Praying for this family

15. Brenda Hasty says:

So very sada. Praying for the family.

16. Hate to read this headline; your team has done a very good job covering this story.

17. My heart is aching for this family. May GOD give them grace to face this tragedy.

18. So sorry for the loss. Prayers for the family.

19. I would hope it was a mistake! Losing a child is nothing to laugh about!! You NEVER get over the pain.

20. Kim Reid says:

Thoughts and prayers eighth family. I am so!sorry for your.loss

21. Heartbreaking, prayers from The Hawks..

22. RIP sorry for your loss

23. Praying for the family

24. Lisa David says:

Deepest sorrow for your family, but God has chosen your angel to reach so many… prayers for your family.

25. God please take this little one into your hands

26. So sorry for your loss! Lifting your family up in my thoughts and prayers!!

27. My heartbreak about those! I’m sorry for your loss and prayer her families

28. Heart broken for this family. Prayers for all from the Leonard family..

29. Kim Slaten Nelson not sure if you meant to react to this post in a laughing matter. But I see that you did hopefully on accident.

30. Prayers for you all from the Perkins

31. Nancy Warden says:

So, so sorry to hear.

32. Praying for this sweet girls family!!!!!

33. Carolyn Cox says:

So so sorry. Prayers for her family! May she RIP this beautiful child!

34. Diane Wright says:

I am so sorry praying for the family

35. Heartbreaking when someone is killed in car accidents, but even worse when it’s a child who’s life was so short!

36. I am so very sorry for the family. Though we have prayed for a complete healing for Maggie on earth, God’s perfect healing for her was to come to Him in Heaven.

37. April Pinkie says:

Prayers to the family

38. I am praying it was an accident because this far from funny

39. Her work on earth was done. God was there to welcome her home. Praying for those who loved her and will be forever changed.

40. So heartbreaking. My prayers are with them.

41. May God hold this family during this most painful time, bless you all.

42. Mike Haynes says:

Praying for the family

43. No. So so so very sorry and sad all at once…more prayers for this sweet family…

44. My heart is breaking for Kelly and Shawn and their entire family. Fly high precious angel Maggie!

45. Absolutely heartbreaking!

46. This precious baby girl brought so many people all over the world together in prayer. We shall pray for her family and those here that will miss her. God bless Sweet Maggie.

47. So very sorry. Praying for peace and comfort.

48. I pray for this family, but also sending some for the people that laughed. I know its only an emoji but the smallest things in the world can take the biggest effect. Even more for this family that lost their daughter.

49. Toni Wall says:

I’m so sorry to see this. So many people were praying for Maggie. My deepest condolences to Maggie’s family.

50. Heartbreaking news. Praying for this sweet family.

51. much love & prayers to this family.

52. Heart is so sad. How beautiful she is. Prayers for her family, friends and community.

53. Tammy McCown says:

Very easy to hit the wring one.

54. Praying for the family

55. I am so sorry to hear this! Prayers for the family

56. Breaks my heart…….

57. Rita Morgan says:

Heart breaking may she Rest In Peace and may the family and friends find peace soon praying for all

58. Prayers of comfort and piece for her family…..so sad.

59. Oh no! May God comfort that precious family and give them strength and peace!

60. So sorry to hear this. May she Rest In Peace. prayers for the family

61. Wanda Cobb says:

for suffering family.

62. Prayers for family and friends! ❤️

63. Prayers for the family and friends. We’re so sorry to hear this 🙁

64. Remembering the Bowles family in my prayers and thanking them for the gracious gifts of life for others!

65. Kem Sims says:

I am so sorry and I am praying for comfort and peace for her family and loved ones.

66. My heart and prayers goes out to the family.

67. So sorry, Heavenly Father wrap your loving arms around this precious child family

68. Oh nooo !!! Prayers for this family. Just isn’t fair a sweet soul gone like this. My heart breaks for her family.

69. Oh my, Bless that family.

70. Jerri Floyd says:

What a beautiful angel God has called home. Prayers for family who loves her so much❤️

71. Oh my my
    Been praying for her
    She is dancing with Jesus
    Praying for her amazing family

72. Heartbreaking…. praying for the family.

MAGGIE we love you so much…our hearts are breaking…But our God knows that you brought over 20000 people together covering the throne with prayers…fly high angel….love to kelly and coach…..

74. My heart breaks for this family. Praying for the family.

75. Prayers sent to this family..

76. Oh God! Can anyone tell me what happened to the driver of the other vehicle?

77. So heartbreaking!!! Prayers for the family!!!

78. Oh me. So broken hearted to hear this. Prayers for this family.

79. My heart goes out to her family…..so heartbreaking.

80. Continued prayers for this family!!!

81. Omg my heart is broken for this beautiful angel that has left too soon prayers for the family & friends

82. There are no words, there is faith…

83. So sorry to hear of her passing. Sending prayers as the family heals from this tragedy.

84. Tina Hicks says:

Praying for the family.

85. Keisha Lee says:

Prayers for those involved.

86. Linda Hayes says:

So very sorry to hear this news…my thoughts and prayers are with all of you

87. Definitely I just can’t imagine this breaks my heart praying for them as well

88. So sad! Prayers for this family!

89. Oh Jesus, I’m so sorry. I can’t hold back the tears. Praying for your beautiful family. xoxo

90. This is so sad and tragic. I cannot imagine the pain this family is experiencing. My prayers go out to them for peace and comfort. What a beautiful little angel heaven has received.

91. Prayers for the family

92. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all the family.

93. Staci Kyzer says:

I’m so very sorry. Prayers for your family.

94. Liz Stegall says:

I am so sorry and my heart and prayers are with her family.

95. Precious angel rest in the arms of Jesus! Praying that the Holy Spirit comforts her family.

96. So sad to hear this. Prayers for the family.

97. Lord help this family….

98. Prayers for the family

99. Prayers for this sweet family-my heart is breaking for you!

100. Haley Carlee says:

Caitlin Collins Howell

101. Prayers for this family

102. Praying for strength and comfort. So sad

103. Prayers for your family.

104. So, so, sad! Prayers for the family!

105. Ron Selesky says:

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Bowles family.

106. So sad to hear this.

107. Prayers for the family of this sweet child.

108. We’ve been hoping and praying along with everyone else. Continued prayers for comfort and strength for the family.

109. I’m so very sorry . I pray God will wrap his arms around the family, and give them strength, and love.

110. Prayers- so sad for the family.

111. Our thoughts and prayers are with you

112. Nancy Thomas says:

My heart breaks for this family. Praying for them.

113. Absolutely heartbroken for this sweet family Such a beautiful soul taken far too soon. Lifting her family up and praying for Gods strength in the days to come.

114. Linda Hickey says:

So sad. Praying for family and friends

115. Paige Nash says:

Such a beautiful little girl!! Prayers for her family and friends!!

116. So sad, continuing to pray for your family!

117. Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles,they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. I am praying that Gods strength and love will get you through this difficult time.

118. Glenda Kelly says:

Prayers for this family!

119. Truly heartbreaking Praying for comfort and strength

120. So very sorry! Prayers for this baby’s family.

121. Praying for family and friends.

122. Janice Kline says:

So sad, fly high little angel!

123. Scott Bates says:

Praying for this family,God bless this little angel

124. Nancy Wesley says:

So sorry. Prayers for. The family…………

125. Piatt Gray says:

Heartbroken over this.

126. Susan Pond says:

So heartbroken for the family

127. Holding this family in the light

128. So tragic. Beautiful young girl.

129. Prayers for family and friend. Fly high sweet baby!

130. Prayers for family and friend. Fly high sweet baby!

131. Prayers for family and friend. Fly high sweet baby!

132. Oh no she didn’t make it. I am so sad.

133. Oh no she didn’t make it. I am so sad.

134. Oh no she didn’t make it. I am so sad.

135. Been praying for this baby girl.

136. Been praying for this baby girl.

137. Been praying for this baby girl.

138. A parent’s worst nightmare. Deepest condolences to her family and friends.

139. A parent’s worst nightmare. Deepest condolences to her family and friends.

140. A parent’s worst nightmare. Deepest condolences to her family and friends.

141. Prayers fro family

142. Prayers fro family

143. Prayers fro family

144. My sincere condolences to her family.

145. My sincere condolences to her family.

146. My sincere condolences to her family.

147. Prayers for the family with love and comfort.

148. Prayers for the family with love and comfort.

149. Prayers for the family with love and comfort.

150. So sad, sending many prayers

151. So sad, sending many prayers

152. So sad, sending many prayers

153. I am sorry for your loss.

154. I am sorry for your loss.

155. I am sorry for your loss.

156. Continuing to pray For this precious precious family now and in the days to come! Maggie is healed and Whole with our Savior.

157. Continuing to pray For this precious precious family now and in the days to come! Maggie is healed and Whole with our Savior.

158. Continuing to pray For this precious precious family now and in the days to come! Maggie is healed and Whole with our Savior.

159. My heart breaks. Prayers for this family

160. My heart breaks. Prayers for this family

161. My heart breaks. Prayers for this family

162. So heartbreaking. Praying for this precious family.

163. So heartbreaking. Praying for this precious family.

164. So heartbreaking. Praying for this precious family.

165. What a beautiful child ! Praying for comfort

166. What a beautiful child ! Praying for comfort

167. What a beautiful child ! Praying for comfort

168. Jane Tyner says:

Praying for Maggie’s family and friends.

169. Jane Tyner says:

Praying for Maggie’s family and friends.

170. Jane Tyner says:

Praying for Maggie’s family and friends.

171. Kimi Wehby says:

God bless this is heartbreaking

172. Kimi Wehby says:

God bless this is heartbreaking

173. Kimi Wehby says:

God bless this is heartbreaking

174. Praying peace and comfort for this family!

175. Praying peace and comfort for this family!

176. Praying peace and comfort for this family!

177. Beautiful little girl. So sad.

178. Beautiful little girl. So sad.

179. Beautiful little girl. So sad.

180. Praying for this family.

181. Praying for this family.

182. Praying for this family.

183. So sad praying God be glorified through this childs life

184. So sad praying God be glorified through this childs life

185. So sad praying God be glorified through this childs life

186. Praying for this family!

187. Praying for this family!

188. Praying for this family!

189. So sad. Prayers for the family.

190. So sad. Prayers for the family.

191. So sad. Prayers for the family.

192. This is so sad what a beautiful young lady she could have contributed so much to our world. M heart in prayers go out to the family

193. This is so sad what a beautiful young lady she could have contributed so much to our world. M heart in prayers go out to the family

194. This is so sad what a beautiful young lady she could have contributed so much to our world. M heart in prayers go out to the family

195. My heart breaks for this family. They are in my thoughts and prayers.

196. Sincere condolences to her family..

197. This is such heartbreaking news. I pray for peace and healing for this family

198. I am so very sorry.She touched so many l8ves and she never knew.Prayers for peace that passes all understanding.Comfort for family and friends.Fly high lil angel!

199. Tara Tyler says:

Precious baby! God gained a wonderful angel

200. Jan Spooner says:

Beautiful child…

201. So sad,,,such a pretty little girl.

202. Heartbroken for this sweet family.

203. My heart is breaking for her family!!

204. Prayers & Love from New Jersey..May God hold her forever in the palm of his hand <3

205. I am so very sad! My heart breaks for this family! Thoughts and prayers to them all.

206. Prayers for Maggie’s family

207. Oh no–so heartbroken for her family & friends.

208. I’m so sad for her family. God’s blessings to you.

209. Judy Wiley says:

So very sad, thoughts and prayers are with the family.

210. Sending love and prayers for the family and this sweet little angel.

211. Such a beautiful child

212. So heartbreaking. May her family be surrounded with love and peace. What a sweet angel heaven has gained.

213. Praying for comfort and peace and strength for the family.

214. Positive thoughts and prayers for the family

215. Rest in peace sweet Maggie. We prayed very hard but God is in control. Forever an angel in heaven. Always in the hearts of those she left behind.

216. So very sorry this happened to this family. I won’t soon forget this face. #touchedbymaggie

217. Continued prayers for the family

218. Cyndie Bolls says:

So sorry. So sad.

219. Donna Fields says:

This breaks my heart.

220. I am so sorry that she died . Many prayers were prayed . My prayers are with the family and friends .

221. Edna Upton says:

Prayers for family!

222. Jan Hudson says:

We all fell involve with Maggie and her sweet family over the last serval days. I know she took a piece of all our hearts when she left this earth. I also know beyond a doubt that when she left Jesus carried her home in His loving arms. She is in a place more beautiful than we could ever imagine. Prayers for peace, strength and comfort for Maggie’s family. We are all your family in Christ and we love you!

223. Jane Rotch says:

Rest sweet Maggie, peace be with you!!Praying for you and your eternal life. Prayers for your family! Breaks my heart!

224. Kerry Cooper says:

So sad sorry for the loss.

225. Prayers for her family.

226. Dear Lord comfort her family …..

227. Jan Campbell says:

How awful. My prayers for her family, friends and community.

228. So sorry for your loss.

229. So sad God bless her family!!

230. So sad God bless her family!!

231. Brenda Clary says:

Sorry for your loss may god comfort you in your time of need, and welcome Maggie in his open arms.❤

232. Brenda Clary says:

233. So sorry to hear. Prayers for the family.

234. So sorry to hear. Prayers for the family.

235. So, so sad. Sending prayers for Maggie and her family.

236. Hated so bad to hear about this. This little girl
    has been in my prayers all week. This family will be in my prayers.

237. Kayla Wesley Herring y’all didn’t know her did you?

238. I didn’t. She was at Noah’s Park when I taught there but I never knew her. So sad 😔

239. Kayla Wesley Herring awww 😔😔😔

240. Heart breaking. Prayers that God will comfort this family.

241. Stephen K. Bell, did you know this family?

242. Matt Butler says:

So sad to hear about this.

243. Carla Brown says:

So sad praying for the family

244. Steven Doss says:

Prayers for the Family!! CathyDoss

245. Tammy Hart says:

This should have never happened!! I passed by this wreck as I live on this street, people go way to damn fast!!! So sad, prayers to the family☹️.

246. Donna Canup says:

Praying for her family !!!!

247. Genia Friday says:

Looks like an Angel now one of Gods Angels

248. Prayers for the family and friends! So sad!

249. So sorry for this family Lori.

250. I am saddened by the death of such a young precious life, but I have to ask the question, was she wearing her seatbelt at the time of the accident?

251. Gregory Kent says:

I am so sorry for your loss! I am heartbroken for y’all and will be praying for you. Anessa Kent