Special from Alabama State Troopers
The Alabama State Troopers issued a bulletin for drivers, especially those in north Alabama, warning of hazardous road conditions.
Winter storm forecasts for north Alabama likely will result in snow?covered or icy roads and hazardous driving conditions throughout northern Alabama. Alabama state troopers encourage all motorists to drive with extreme caution and to avoid roadways when weather conditions are prohibitive.
Troopers offer the following tips to help ensure safe winter travel:
- • Avoid travel, if possible, when icy or other extremely hazardous driving conditions develop in your area.
- • Keep your vehicle in good operating condition. Check antifreeze levels and use windshield washer solution suitable for freezing weather conditions
. Keep gas tanks at least half full.
- • Remember that weather and roadway conditions can quickly change. Adapt speeds to existing roadway conditions, and be alert to changing weather and the possibility of icy, slippery roads.
- • During inclement weather, turn on headlights and windshield wipers and maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and other vehicles.
- • Pay particular attention to bridges and overpasses, which have a tendency to develop extremely hazardous “black ice.”
- • Keep blankets, a first aid kit, a charged cell phone and other emergency supplies in your vehicle.
Motorists are encouraged to monitor local news for information on weather conditions and travel advisories and to contact trooper posts only to report traffic crashes or other emergencies. Motorists with cell phones may dial *HP (*47) toll?free to report roadway emergencies to a state trooper post.
Motorists are urged to be alert for emergency vehicles and personnel and to obey the state’s “move over” law.
For information on road closings, please visit the road conditions page of the Alabama Department of Transportation’s website, www.dot.state.al.us.