By Dave Parrish
On more than one occasion, I have been asked, “Is this house haunted?” And while it is true that there are many buyers that want to steer clear of such properties, there is a surprising number of buyers for whom this is not a problem.
That actually was the topic of a recent survey conducted by Realtor.com.
More than half of home buyers are open to buying a haunted house, according to Realtor.com’s 2013 Haunted Housing Report. Also, 35 percent of the nearly 1,400 people who took the survey say they have lived in a haunted home. Some interesting findings from that survey are below.
Sentiment regarding a haunted home purchase:
• 26 percent indicated they would consider purchasing a haunted house for sale.
• 36 percent might consider a haunted home purchase.
• 38 percent would not consider a haunted home purchase.
Consumer experiences with haunted real estate:
• 51 percent heard about someone else’s haunted home experience.
• 35 percent lived in a home they suspected to be haunted.
• 25 percent have researched a home’s history to find out any eerie past incidents.
Most popular warning signs a home could be haunted:
• 61 percent thought a cemetery on the property could be an indication.
• 50 percent thought homes more than 100 years old could be haunted.
• 45 percent considered quick transitions in owners could be a sign.
• 45 percent believe that an unexplainable low price on the home is alarming.
• 43 percent suspected homes in close proximity to a battlefield could be haunted.
Of the respondents who would consider purchasing a haunted home, many indicated they would expect discounts on a property:
• 12 percent would pay full market value or more for a haunted house for sale.
• 34 percent would purchase a haunted home if it were discounted 1 to 30 percent.
• 22 percent would purchase a haunted home if it were discounted 31 to 50 percent.
• 19 percent would purchase a haunted home if it were discounted 51 percent or more.
Among the respondents who would contemplate purchasing a haunted home, the following spooky occurrences would scare them away:
• 75 percent, levitating objects
• 63 percent, objects being moved from where they were placed
• 63 percent, ghost sightings
• 61 percent, supernatural sensations
• 61 percent, flickering lights/appliances
• 60 percent, strange noises (footsteps, doors slamming)
• 34 percent, warm or cold spots
Warning: Before you go telling folks your home is haunted, be sure you have proof of the haunting. You wouldn’t want to promise something you couldn’t deliver. That might actually create a legal problem for you the seller.
May the market be with you and may all your ghosts be friendly.