By Lee Weyhrich
PINSON — The Pinson City Council is asking for volunteers to help with work to be done at the Old Rock School.
Work includes carpet removal, paneling removal and minor repairs. The goal of the work is to restore the building to a more original state.
The Old Rock School has been in Pinson seemingly forever, dating back to 1921. The school building was closed in 1998 and was scheduled to be torn down. Pinson residents saved the building from demolition and in 2003 Solid Rock Church leased the property. The church’s first service in the building was Sept. 26, 2004.
The Pinson City Council in September voted on a financing option to purchase the Solid Rock Church building and nearby Triangle Park for $975,000. The city council voted to put down a $75,000 down payment on the property and finance the other $900,000 at 3.3 percent interest over the course of five years and amortized over 20 years. Solid Rock Church now owns and congregates at the former New Covenant Fellowship Church building on Pinson Valley Parkway.
Anyone interested in volunteering at the Old Rock School are asked to contact Pinson City Hall at 205-680-5556.