By Gary Lloyd
TRUSSVILLE — The Trussville City Board of Education on Monday approved its 2014-15 fiscal year budget.
According to the proposed budget, the projected beginning general fund balance on Oct. 1 will be $4.34 million. The projected ending general fund balance on Sept. 30, 2015 will be $1.86 million.
Trussville City Schools Assistant Superintendent of Business Operations Jim Kirkland said the approved budget had only “minor adjustments” from the budget discussed at public hearings earlier this summer. Kirkland said revenues this year have been strong.
According to the proposed budget, the average teaching experience of a Trussville City Schools teacher is 13 years. The percentage of teachers will a master’s degree is 65 percent.
The board also approved the school system’s capital plan, which outlines the major capital projects that the system anticipates completing in the next five years. The prioritized list covers 19 projects, with the top one being the completion of Hewitt-Trussville Stadium. The second and third items are the new elementary schools.
Here are the rest of the 16 capital projects:
- CCTV upgrades to all schools
- Construct an additional parking lot at Hewitt-Trussville High School to add 275 spaces due to student enrollment (in design)
- Kitchen and cafeteria upgrades at Hewitt-Trussville Middle School
- Install perimeter fencing and additional sidewalks at the competition soccer field (waiting on stadium construction to be completed)
- Upgrades to the girls’ softball facility and field
- Additional awnings to car pickup areas at Paine Elementary Campus and Hewitt-Trussville Middle School
- New roof at the Paine Elementary Campus
- Upgrades to technology infrastructure (ongoing)
- Upgrades to access control and safety measures at all schools (ongoing)
- New roof at Central Office building
- Additional classrooms at Hewitt-Trussville Middle School and/or Hewitt-Trussville High School
- Concrete fire safety road to Hewitt-Trussville High School
- Enhance sound quality in choral rooms at Hewitt-Trussville High School
- Repair grounds after portable classrooms have been removed from the Paine Elementary Campus
- Make final tie-in for fire suppression sprinkler line at Central Office building (new water main has been installed, requiring the school system to make final connections)
- Acquire land and construct a maintenance/transportation shop, including warehouse type storage facility
Contact Gary Lloyd at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GaryALloyd.