By Chris Yow
TRUSSVILLE — The Trussville City Council voted Tuesday night to annex land parallel to Interstate 59 in order to complete a road project that will connect Chalkville Road with the Pinnacle Shopping Center on U.S. 11.
The annexation along Valley Road will allow the city to begin work extending the road to allow for secondary access to the shopping center, and possibly help alleviate some of the traffic on the highway.
“This will allow people coming from Clay, Argo and other cities to avoid going all the way down Chalkville Road to Highway 11,” City Clerk Lynn Porter said.
According to Street Department head Wayne Sullivan, the city has already begun working on part of the road near the Pinnacle.
Also in the meeting, the city voted to update its building codes to the 2015 version of the International Building Code. Previously, the city worked under the 2009 code.
In other business, the city:
- Voted to approve an MOU with Jefferson County to join the resurfacing project of Floyd Bradford Road.
- Approved a resolution to accept streets in the Glen Cross subdivision.
- Approved a resolution to accept bids on the civic center’s access control system.
- Approved merit increases for Andrea Downing, Rebecca Burchfield, Lakeisha Addie Minor, Melanie Harris Colston, Brett Deloach, Brian D. Williams and Caleb Rudolph.
- Approved moving Dan Brown from Investigator to the jail and to remove Investigator incentive.
- Approved Keith Rosetta to Investigator, and added a five percent Investigator incentive.
- Approve proposal Video Industrial Services to video and clean, if necessary, drainage culverts at Library prior to commencement of construction – $1,500, plus $320 per hour for cleaning
- Approve LBYD proposal structural engineering vehicular bridge for Roebuck Industrial Parkway extension – $12,500.00
- Approve Terracon proposal for geotechnical exploration for bridge for Roebuck Industrial Parkway extension – $13,540.00
- Accept resignation for Steven Lackey, Public Works, effective Dec 30, 2015.