From The Trussville Tribune staff reports
The beginning of a new year is a perfect time to commit or re-commit to a healthier lifestyle. When you set a goal to lose weight and get healthier, you’re a winner. Teams can channel their inner champion and pre-register now for Scale Back Alabama, the state’s largest weight loss and physical activity competition, according to the Alabama Department of Public Health.
This year’s nine-week competition will begin with weigh-in week, Jan. 22 – 28. The competition is free, and participants must be at least 18 years of age and live or work in Alabama. Teams and individuals who weigh-out during the week of April 2 – 8 and succeed in losing at least 10 pounds qualify to win a share of $14,500 in cash prizes. Teams are made up of two people (no more, no less).
It’s easy to register a two-person team:
- Visit scalebackalabama.com/project/registeror via the Scale Back Alabama app (only one registration per team of two)
- If possible, print your registration confirmation page
- Visit an official public weigh-in location during the week of January 22 – 28 (take registration confirmation with you)
- Important: Search for public weigh-in sites at scalebackalabama.com/sites. Weigh-in sites are still being added, so check back if there is not currently a weigh-in site in your county.
- Team prizes (if both team members lose 10 pounds) – Three teams are drawn to win $1,000 per team member; three teams are drawn to win $500 per team member; three teams are drawn to win $250 per team member.
- Individual prizes (if a team member loses 10 pounds, but his or her team mate does not) – 40 individuals are drawn to win $100 each.
Facts about Scale Back Alabama:
- Inaugural contest started in January 2007
- Now in its 12thconsecutive year
- Cumulative number of pounds lost statewide: 1.35 million
- Cumulative number of participants statewide: 317,372
- Why? Although our state has made some progress, Alabama is third in the nation in terms of adult obesity with a rate of 35.7 percent. A variety of health issues result from and are compounded by being overweight or obese. It’s time for Alabamians to live healthier lifestyles and reverse this trend.
Scale Back Alabama is a public awareness campaign hosted by the Alabama Hospital Association and the Alabama Department of Public Health, with generous support from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama.