By Tanna M. Friday
TRUSSVILLE – On Tuesday, September 25, the Trussville City Council met for their regularly scheduled meeting approving an agenda with items consisting of growth and management of the city.
Among items approved included an ordinance prohibiting U-turns onto Longmeadow Parkway avoiding the Husky Parkway turn signal.
During last week’s workshop, Trussville Police Chief Eric Rush asked the Council to consider the approval of an ordinance to enforce a No U-turn onto Longmeadow Parkway. He said that this activity has brought undesired and unnecessary traffic into the Longmeadow subdivision creating hazardous conditions for traffic when U-turns are made.
Drivers are driving their vehicles into the Longmeadow subdivision, performing a U-turn, and turning right onto Trussville-Clay Road rather than waiting at the designated traffic signal at Husky Parkway.
The Council’s adoption of this ordinance now makes U-turns illegal on Longmeadow Parkway enabling the city to erect a ‘No U-Turn’ sign near the entrance of the Longmeadow subdivision and enforce the activity by the Trussville Police Department.
In other business, City Council members approved the balanced annual operating budget for 2018-2019 totaling $33,873,412, which includes a 2 percent cost-of-living increase for all city employees. The increase is effective September 29.
In other matters, the Council:
- Approved a resolution to Conditional Use for Ferus Artisan Ales, 201 Morrow Avenue (the use of a brewery on a property within the Downtown Overlay District requires this special approval to assure that the purpose is consistent with the goals of the district);
- Held a public hearing and approved an alcohol license for Ferus Artisan Ales, 201 Morrow Avenue;
- Held a public hearing and approved the alcohol license for Happy Wok Asian Cuisine;
- Approved an ordinance annexing 7510 and 7536 Arrowhead Lane;
- Approved the FY 2018-2019 budget;
- Approved a resolution to approve a lease-purchase agreement with Motorola Solutions, Inc. for police radios in the amount of $700,000 to be paid over a term of five years with a $1.00 buyout at the end;
- Approved for ALDOT to install traffic signals on Vann Road/Brooks Crossing and Gadsden Highway and alternation of a signal at Mary Taylor Road and Gadsden Highway;
- Approved an ordinance no U-turn Longmeadow Parkway;
- Approved a proclamation for Fire Prevention week in October;
- Approved Resolution 2018-042 for 2% employee cost of living adjustment (COLA);
- Approved the promotion of Josh Tayler to Events Coordinator of the Civic Center effective September 29;
- Approved a resolution to purchase ROW National Retail Properties, LP (Circle K) 199 Main Street;
- Approval of accounts payable;
- Approved Legal Aspects of Code Administration in Oxford on Oct. 11 for $100 for Mann;
- Approved AL Ambulance Assn/EMS Conference for fire department employee on Oct. 14-17 for a total cost of $403.41 and meals; and
- Reimbursement for hanging baskets in the amount of $199.96 for hanging baskets for the Trussville Beautification Board.
After the meeting, the Council adjourned for an executive session to discuss trade in commerce and real estate transactions.
The next Council workshop meeting will be Thursday, October 4 at 5:30 p.m. The regularly scheduled Council meeting will be held on Tuesday, October 9 beginning at 6 p.m.