From The Trussville Tribune staff reports
BIRMINGHAM – As construction continues in downtown Birmingham for Interstate Improvements, the Alabama Department of Transportation says drivers should expect delays.
There will be intermittent lane closures and ramp closures this week on I-59/20 NB and SB, Red Mountain Expressway, and Carraway Blvd.
- Carraway Blvd. will be closed between Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. and 11thAvenue N Friday, October 12th at 11 p.m. until Saturday, October 13th, at 5 a.m. for a bridge deck pour.
- The I-59/20 NB exit ramp to 17th Streetwill be closed from 11 p.m. until 5 a.m., Monday, October 15th, Tuesday, October 16th, Wednesday, October 17th, Thursday, October 18th, and Friday, October 19th while the contractor replaces bearing pads.
- The Red Mountain Expressway on ramp to I-59/20 NB will be closed from 11:00 pm until 5 a.m. Monday, October 15th, Tuesday, October 16th, Wednesday, October 17th, and Thursday, October 18thfor girder delivery and bridge deck pours.
- The I-59/20 SB off ramp to I-65 NB will be closed Tuesday, October 16th, from 11 p.m. until 5 a.m. Wednesday, October 17th for overhead sign exit cap modification.
- The I-59/20 SB exit to Carraway Blvd. will be closed Tuesday, October 16th, from 11 p.m. until 5 a.m. Wednesday, October 17th, for bridge deck pours.
Detour signs will be in place where necessary. Please keep in mind that all construction plans can change due to weather and other factors. As always, use caution and obey the posted speed limits.
Message boards and all necessary traffic controls will be in place. Please keep in mind that all construction plans can change due to weather and other factors.
This work is a part of the I-59/20 Central Business District (CBD) Interchange and Bridge Replacement Project.
Motorists are requested to consider using alternate routes, adjust arrival/departure times, observe work zone speed limits and other work zone signs, and use extreme caution in this area. ALDOT thanks motorists for their patience during this Construction Operation to improve Alabama’s roadways.
ALDOT’s mission is to provide a safe, efficient, environmentally sound transportation network across Alabama. For additional information please visit our project website www.5920bridge.com and for traffic alerts and updates follow us on Facebook and Twitter@5920bridge.