By Shaun Szkolnik, sports editor
GULF SHORES – Huskies athletics continued to shine at the second day of the AHSAA 7A Track and Field state championships in Gulf Shores. The competition started on Thursday, May 2, and continued to Saturday, May 4. When all was said and done, Hewitt-Trussville boys came away third in the state, and the girls were 13th.
Some early highlights from the event included:
- With a time of 48.259, Stone Shelnutt is the 7A state champion in the 400-meter.
- Covering a distance of 23’5, Julian Collins is the 7A state champion in the long jump.
- Stone Shelnutt took the bronze for All-State honors in the long jump.
- Kelsey Martin has placed fourth and earned All-State honors in the long jump.
- Camryn Pettus earned an All-State title by finishing seventh in the triple jump.
- All-State honors went to the girls’ 4 x 800 team due to its eighth-place finish. The team includes Avery Cahoon, Abby Sugden, Ellie Kate Jones, and Maci Mills.
- Maci Mills finished seventh in the 1600. With that finish, Maci earns an All-State title.
- Aaron Himes placed seventh in the 1600.
Highlights from later in the event were:
- Kelsey Martin for placed fifth in the high jump and earned All-State honors.
- Lea Townsend placed second in the shot put for the silver and broke the previous state record.
- Caleb Long placed second for the silver medal in javelin. He threw 188’7”
- Stone Shelnutt took bronze for the 300 hurdles
- Stone Shelnutt took bronze for the 110 hurdles