From The Trussville Tribune staff reports
NASCAR’s Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series (MENCS) and NASCAR Xfinity Series (NXS) took on New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon, New Hampshire, while the ARCA Menards Series was at Iowa Speedway in Newton, Iowa, this past weekend. Below is a recap of the events.
Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
- It was an intense battle between Kevin Harvick and Denny Hamlin on the final lap of Sunday’s Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series (MENCS) race at New Hampshire. Coming off the final turn, the No. 4 of Harvick made contact with the No. 11 of Hamlin, which slowed Hamlin’s machine and catapulted Harvick to victory, breaking a 21-race winless streak and giving Harvick his first win of the season.
- It was Harvick’s second straight at the Magic Mile and fourth overall.
- Hamlin crossed the line second, .210 seconds behind.
- Erik Jones took home third, with Ryan Blaney and Matt DiBenedetto (second top five of the season) completing the top five.
- The rest of the top 10 included: Martin Truex Jr., Ryan Newman, Kyle Busch, Joey Logano and pole winner Brad Keselowski.
- Harvick, along with Hamlin, Truex, Kyle, Logano, Keselowski, Kurt Busch, Alex Bowman and Chase Elliott have clinched spots in the MENCS Playoffs with wins this season.
- Talladega Superspeedway’s second MENCS race of 2019 is set for Sunday, Oct. 13, with the running of the 1000Bulbs.com 500, and will be the second race in the Round of 12 of the playoffs.
NASCAR Xfinity Series
- Christopher Bell, who led 186 of 200 laps, waxed the field in the NASCAR Xfinity Series (NXS) event Saturday afternoon at New Hampshire. It was Bell’s second triumph at the 1.058-mile track (second start), claiming his fifth victory of the season.
- Runner-up and pole-sitter Cole Custer crossed the line 4.068 seconds behind.
- Justin Allgaier followed in third, with Tyler Reddick in fourth and Cup Series regular Paul Menard in fifth.
- With wins this season, Bell, Custer, Reddick and Michael Annett have secured spots in the NXS Playoffs.
ARCA Menards Series
- General Tire Pole Award winner Chandler Smith dominated the ARCA Menards Series event at Iowa Speedway on Friday night, leading 140 of the 150-lap event and claiming his fourth victory of the season.
- The margin of victory was 1.515 seconds ahead of second-place finisher Christian Eckes.
- Michael Self, Carson Hocevar and Ty Gibbs rounded out the top five.
- Bret Holmes (Munford, Ala.) finished eighth and sits second in the point standings, 90 points behind leader Self.
Tune-In TV/Radio Coverage
- The MENCS will compete at Pocono Raceway, Sunday, July 28 at 2 p.m. (CDT). NBCSN will televise the event. MRN and SiriusXM will provide radio coverage.
- The NXS will be at Iowa Speedway, Saturday, July 27 at 4 p.m. (CDT). NBCSN will televise the race, while MRN and SiriusXM will provide radio coverage.
- The NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series will return to action at Pocono Raceway on Saturday, July 27 at noon (CDT). FOX will televise the event. MRN and Sirius XM will provide radio coverage.
- The ARCA Menards Series will also race at Pocono Raceway on Friday, July 26 at 3 p.m. (CDT). FOX Sports 1 will televise the event.