From The Tribune staff reports
BIRMINGHAM — The Jefferson County Commission announced it is reopening the courthouse and satellite offices on May 1, 2020.
Although residents are encouraged to continue doing business online when possible, the county is making the following changes to keep employees and visitors safe inside the courthouse:
• New plexiglass shields are being added to all public-facing counters, such as the Department of Revenue and Tax Assessors office.
• The courthouse is being cleaned according to CDC guidelines.
• Social distancing is required for those waiting for services.
• Employees and customers will comply with the city of Birmingham’s ordinance requiring the wearing of face coverings in public.
• County departments are still encouraging telecommuting for employees, when possible.
The State Department of Revenue extended tag renewals for March and April to May 15. Tag services can still be done online at jccal.org.