By Joshua Huff, sports editor
BIRMINGHAM — The Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Alabama will open its doors for a limited number of children in June for the 2020 Summer Program.
The program will be take place at six of the club’s locations starting with the first session scheduled to run from June 8 through July 2. The second session will start on July 7 and run until July 31. The program will run Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
To attend the sessions this year, children must be a current member of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Alabama.
The six locations, along with the number of openings, are:
- 77 openings at the Hueytown/Pleasant Grove Unit
- 77 openings at the John A Williamson Unit
- 55 openings at the Pell City Unit
- 44 openings at the Cleckler Teen Center
- 40 openings at the Montevallo Unit
- 18 openings at the Brookside Unit
The 2020 Summer Program will follow health and safety protocols set forth by federal and local officials, including the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention and the Alabama Department of Health.
As a result, the program will restrict the number of participants in each session to 311 children. That number was determined based on the number of rooms inside the organization’s facilities and the social distancing recommendations of maintaining 11 people per room at 6 feet apart.
The daily programs will feature academic enrichment activities with supplemental curriculum designed to empower youth to excel in school, become leaders, adopt healthy habits and plan for success after high school graduation. Meals and snacks will also be served to program participants at no additional cost.
Open Registration began Wednesday, May 27, 2020. All open slots will be selected by a lottery system daily at 10 a.m. until all slots are filled.
- Beginning May 27, 2020, a daily lottery will be conducted at 10 a.m. for any remaining open slots not filled by Pre-Summer Program participants.
- Once selected for the 2020 Summer Program, applicants will have two days to fully complete registration, Docusign all documents, and complete payment. If registration is not fully completed within this timeframe, the slot will become available for open registration.
- A new lottery process will be conducted daily at 10 a.m. until all slots are filled.
- Once all slots are filled, a waiting list will be kept and you will be notified when the program is expanded or when slots become available.