From The Tribune staff reports
TRUSSVILLE — Trussville City Schools has been putting together detailed plans on different aspects of going back to school.
After considering guidelines and information from health experts and hearing from parents, some additional safety procedures have been put into place for playgrounds, buses and cafeterias.
The school system is still gathering information and asking for parents to give input.
Here is the latest list:
Playground Safety Procedures
Principals will prepare the schedules for playground use modifying the number of students on the playground during each session.
New electrostatic sprayers will be purchased so playground equipment can be sanitized during the day.
Bus Safety Procedures
For those choosing Option A, bus transportation will be provided. Please consider the following precautionary measures, all subject to change:
- TCS school bus drivers and aides will wear face coverings or face shields at all times.
- All students will be asked to wear a face covering or face shield while on the bus because it is likely there will be two students per seat.
- Windows and/or roof hatches will be open for ventilation when weather permits.
- Handrails, handholds, door handles, seat bottoms, seat backs, heating and air conditioning vents will be cleaned, sanitized, and disinfected daily after morning and afternoon routes.
- Upon a confirmed exposure to COVID-19, the bus will be taken out of service for a deep cleaning process. Once cleaned and fogged with an approved disinfectant, the bus will return to service.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be installed on every bus. Students should utilize hand sanitizer when boarding and/or departing the bus. CDC prevention strategies will be posted on all buses.
- Assigned seating will be utilized to ensure the same students sit together each day. Members of the same family will sit together when possible. Students boarding the bus at the first bus stop will proceed to the rear of the bus.
- Students must remain in their seats, facing forward, and clear of the center aisle at all times while on the bus.
Child Nutrition Program Procedures
- Hot meals will be plated by the lunchroom staff
- No self-service unless items are individually wrapped
- Boxed hot lunch and/or boxed cold lunch options available
- Hand sanitizer will be available for students in the lunchroom
- Serving lines and tables will be sanitized between classes
- Lunch cards will be provided and scanned at cash register for a touchless ID option
- If the student does not have their card during meal time, the cashier will enter the lunch number for the student
- 6 ft markings on the floor will encourage students to socially distance in serving lines
- Students will be seated at every other seat at the tables in the cafeteria or distanced in other dining areas
- Prepayment is encouraged instead of cash payment during meal time
- Online prepayment through PayPams/ checks/ cash in envelopes with student’s name, lunch number, and dollar amount sent to lunchroom prior to meal time
- Meals will be available for students who are eligible for the free and reduced lunch program in all options
- Paid meals will be available for students enrolled in all options
- Strict sanitary guidelines recommended by the Jefferson County Health Department will continue to be followed during food preparation and service