Message from the Superintendent for August 6, 2020
Dear Parent or Guardian,
We are very excited about the 2020-21 school year! Thank you for your patience as we navigate the COVID-19 pandemic and the start of the new year. This year will look different from years past but we know that our students, parents, teachers and community will all pull together to make this a successful year for our students.
Upon returning to school, the first day should be fun and welcoming among all the changes that have taken place. We plan to build trust and student/teacher relationships quickly with our students by letting them know how much we care and how much we missed them last spring. The first day back to school will be treated with kindness, understanding and flexibility to meet the needs of students who have been through so many unexpected challenges in the last few months. We will love them first, and teach them next.
Thank you for taking the time to read and understand all the school options over the last month, and for your patience in making the best choice for your child’s school experience until we get back to normal. In developing these choices, we also followed key principles for reopening schools from Governor Ivey, the State Department of Education, American Academy of Pediatrics, the Center for Disease Control, Alabama Department of Public Health and the Jefferson County Health Department. Keep in mind that state and local guidelines change rapidly. Governor Ivey’s announcement on or before August 31 will either extend the current health order or issue new orders. As the rules change, we will adjust, and parents will be offered a chance to change, too.
Please thank your principal and teachers for working so hard in the midst of ever-changing circumstances to reopen schools safely and effectively for your child.
Let’s get started:
- Elementary teacher letters will be emailed to parents the afternoon of August 6.
- Middle school and high school schedules will be released August 7.
AUGUST 12th, 13th and 14th Staggered Start for reopening
TCS will have a staggered start for K-12 students in alphabetical order according to the first letter of their last name for the in-person options:
Option A and Option A Blended in grades K-12
Last Name A – F will attend school Wednesday, August 12
Last Name G – N will attend school Thursday, August 13
Last Name O – Z will attend school Friday, August 14
Buses will run on these days and you can check Chalkable for your bus routes.
Option B students are purely virtual and they will meet their virtual teacher and ease into the new virtual environment beginning August 12.
Option C Elementary Students Grades K-5
Option C elementary students will begin their remediation and/or enrichment in their school library the week of August 24 on a day scheduled by your principal.
Option C Grades 6-12
Students will drop in for their scheduled course August 12, 13, OR 14 according to the first letter of their last name on the staggered schedule as follows:
Last Name A – F will attend selected classes Wednesday, August 12
Last Name G – N will attend selected classes Thursday, August 13
Last Name O – Z will attend selected classes Friday, August 14
There are many benefits to a staggered start for in-person students including:
- Learning to bring and wear a mask in school
- Obtaining assigned seats in the classroom and on the bus
- Learning about 6 foot distancing
- Getting assigned seats in classrooms and on buses
- Orientation for 6th grade students for classrooms and lockers
- Orientation for 9th grade students for classrooms and lockers
- Kindergarten orientation
- Small group orientation for students new to Trussville
- Practice meal pick-up procedures for free/reduced students who chose the virtual option and would like to continue in the school lunch program
- Become familiar with new lunchroom and bathroom procedures for in-person students
- Learn new procedures and rules for the 3 W’s
- Get their chromebooks and become familiar with online formats and login
- Practice social distancing while taking a mask break
- Have fun again with classmates for the first time since March 13, 2020
We are so excited to have students, faculty and staff back in our schools. The year might look different but TCS is committed to ensuring the safety of our students, faculty and staff while keeping our commitment for a quality education for all students. This is all new to everyone.
We thank you in advance for your kindness and understanding as we walk this journey together. Enjoy the reopening of school and stay tuned as the health orders may change August 31.