From the Tribune staff reports
TRUSSVILLE — The Trussville City Council met in regular session following a workshop on Tuesday, May 25, 2021. The council began the meeting by honoring longtime Trussville City School board member Stan Garrett who is stepping down after 16 years of service. Several BOE members were also on hand to honor Garrett.
The council voted to pass an updated resolution to provide incentives to GAJE, LLC to develop the former Ruby Tuesdays building on Chalkville Mountain Road. The new resolution replaces the agreement voted on by the council in the previous meeting in order to clarify language related to the incentives.
According to the new agreement, the developer would receive two-thirds of the local sales tax up to $850,000 or for 10 years, whichever comes first. The agreement states that the new occupant will be a national steakhouse not currently located in Trussville or another business approved by the council.
Mayor Buddy Choat told the council that the veterans committee has an event planned at Veterans Park on Sunday, at 3 p.m. to unveil a new bust of Jason Stegall. A musical program is planned and the public is invited.
Choat also mentioned that Meals on Wheels are in need of volunteers as they resume services providing meals to about 16 people each day.
Linden Street reopened on Tuesday, the mayor said. The new street is right-in-only from North Chalkville Road and will access the new public parking behind the downtown plaza which is on the corner of Main Street and North Chalkville. The road allows southbound traffic for U.S. Highway 11 to turn right before reaching the North Chalkville-Main Street intersection.
However, all of the news regarding downtown work wasn’t good, as a backorder on materials may delay the plaza project a little longer than planned. Pavers to complete the plaza may not be available until the end of the summer, but Choat said the contractor was hopeful that they may arrive earlier.
A full list of council actions is listed below;
Proclamations, Ordinances, Resolutions, Orders, & other business
· Proclamation Honoring City School Board Member Stan Garrett
· Proclamation Declaring City Fest a Public Event
· Proclamation Declaring Christmas Tree Lighting & Caroling a Public Event
· Proclamation Declaring Christmas Parade a Public Event
· Proclamation Recognizing June as Scleroderma Awareness Month
· Proclamation Recognizing Leland Dockery Tribute Cruise-In
· Resolution to Surplus Various Information Technology Assets
· Resolution to Approve an updated Agreement with GAJE, LLC, replacing the earlier draft enacted with Resolution 2021-24
· Resolution to Appoint Mayor Choat to the Cahaba Solid Waste Disposal Authority
· Hire Noah Weber, Legion Gaston, and Pierce Miller as Parks & Rec Lifeguards (Grade 7 – Step 1), effective May 26, 2021
· Hire Payton Berry as a Parks & Rec Lifeguard (Grade 7 – Step 4), effective May 26, 2021
· Hire Austin Scarborough as Parks & Rec part-time Gymnastics Coach (Grade 5 – Step 5), effective June 5, 2021
· Hire Max Cooper as Parks & Rec part-time Fitness Assistant (Grade 6 – Step 1), effective June 5, 2021
· Promote Daniel Green to full time Parks & Rec Skilled Laborer (Grade 12 – Step 1), effective June 5, 2021
· Promote Evan McCleskey to full time Parks & Rec Skilled Laborer (Grade 12 – Step 3), effective June 5, 2021
· Promote David Gremmels, Brian Nabers & Gay Strong to full time Parks & Rec Skilled Laborers (Grade 12 – Step 4), effective June 5, 2021
· Approve 5% education premium for Fire Lieutenant Brandon Jones, effective May 22, 2021
X. Auditing accounts
a. Accounts payable
b. Alabama Association of Fire Chiefs Summer Conference for TFD Chief Tim Shotts and Assistant Chief of Operations Keith McLaughlin, August 8-11 in Orange Beach. $225 early bird registration per person + accommodations
c. Surviving Violent Encounters training for TPD Cpl. Casey Shelnutt, July 8-9 in Nashville. $150 registration + accommodations
d. Alabama Narcotics Officers Association Conference for TPD Lt. Phil Dillon; Sgt. Chad Jones; and Detectives James McCool, Daniel Swope and Anthony Martin, Aug 17-19 in Orange Beach. $150 registration fee per person + accommodations
e. Psychological Aspects of Criminal Behavior class for TPD Lt. Todd Posey, June 14-15 in Birmingham. $325 registration fee
f. Alabama Municipal Revenue Officers Training for Revenue Examiners Winifred Payne and Ashley Oliver, as well as Mayor’s Assistant Stacy Frazier, Oct 6-8 in Tuscaloosa. $235 registration fee per person + accommodations
g. Magistrate Certification Maintenance for Revenue Examiner Winifred Payne, Aug 20 in Birmingham. $325 registration fee