By Hannah Caver, Staff Writer
TRUSSVILLE — The Trussville City Schools Board of Education met on Monday, October 25, celebrating progress during the school year and lower numbers of COVID cases.
In attendance were TCC Superintendent Dr. Pattie Neill, Kathy Brown (Board President), Dr. Steve Ward (Vice President), Mark Sims, Kim DeShazo, and Sherrye Tolbert. Principals, Joy Tyner (Cahaba Elementary School), Dr. Phyllis Faust (Magnolia Elementary School), Dr. Lisa Lothpeich (Paine Elementary School), Jennifer Abney (Hewitt-Trussville Middle School), Tim Salem (Hewitt-Trussville High School) participated in the meeting.
Superintendent Dr. Pattie Neill discussed TCS Culture Bumps Training and the different Diversity Teams for the schools that are in Trussville City Schools. Culture Bump acknowledges differences and behavioral differences while providing a specific step-by-step structure strategy for exactly what to do when anyone encounters a difference.
“It enhances and expands our character education program in our anti-bullying program,” Neill said. “These are usually the differences for bullying issues, so it enhances our character education program, and it leads to what we are working toward – actual elements of how to have civil discourse rather than uncivil discourse between students.”
School administration shared excitement on how well the students performed during the pandemic and continue to perform in the future. There was also an air of excitement in keeping up a solid new school year. TCS rehired retired teachers to work half days and as “interventist” at the elementary and middle schools. These interventist help fill gaps academically for students adjusting from online classes to in-person classrooms.
Assistant Superintendent of Student Services, Dr. Rachel Poovey, discussed how COVID cases in the schools continue to decline. Poovey said that as of the scheduled Board Meeting, there were only four cases. Poovey added that they will continue to monitor those cases as the year continues.
“We are still being diligent in cleaning and all the things that people are doing to help make sure we continue on this track,” Poovey said.
Neil congratulated Board Members Kim DeShazo and Mark Sims for reaching Level 1 of the AASB School Board Member Academy. Neill also recognized National Merit Semi-Finalists, Juliana Eberhardt and Judson Upchurch, along with a recognized Commended Student Madeline Mann.
In other matters, the Board approved:
- Approve Accounts Payable for September 2021;
- Approve Payroll: September 2021;
- Approve Financials: September 2021;
- Approve Board Work Session Record and Board Meeting Minutes for September 21, 2021;
- Approve the following Facility Usage Agreements:
- Youth Basketball use of Middle School Main and Auxiliary gym;
- Youth Basketball use of Cahaba Elementary Gym;
- Youth Basketball use of High School Main and Auxiliary gym;
- Letters for Santa mailbox at each elementary school;
- Approve Eagle Scout Project for Elementary Schools;
- Approve the foundation request for the naming opportunity for the Magnolia Gym;
- Approve the following for Technology:
- Powerschool UA Enrollment;
- VMware Disaster Relief License;
- TSA – HPE Aruba Central Subscription license;
- Approve Agreement with Jefferson State Community College Dual Enrollment;
- Approve the following or C&I:
- Do the Math;
- Turnitin license;
- Approve University of Pheonix Student Teaching Affiliation Agreement;
- Approve the Following Field Trips:
- HTMS and HTHS Theater Department;
- HTHS Wrestling to Silver Spurs Arena;
- HTHS Wrestling to AHSAA State Tournament;
- HTHS Wrestling to Mobile Civic Center;
- HTHS Wrestling to Auburn University;
- HTHS Wrestling to Jefferson HS (GA);
- Approve the Following Bids:
- 21-09 Chemical and Lawn for Magnolia Elementary;
- 21-10 Grass Cutting for Magnolia Elementary;
- 21-11 Cleaning bid for Paine Elementary;
- Approve Under $50,000 Project for Motorola Radio Upgrade;
- Approve Under $50,000 Project for Installation of the new sound system at Hewitt-Trussville Middle School;
- Approve Project for Security Cameras; and
- Approve amended Salary Schedule for Revisions to Substitute pay rate and addition of Student teachers pay rate effective November 8, 2021.
Other items approved were personal agenda items:
- Approval for Superintendents recommendations regarding changes in personnel, contracts, extra services, and supplements;
- One-time $500 stipend per employee for additional duties to be performed that are associated with COVID; and
- One-time $500 stipend for superintendent for additional duties to be performed that are associated with COVID.
This meeting can be viewed on the Trussville City Schools youtube page.
The November monthly Board Meeting will be Tuesday, November 16, 2021, at 6 p.m. in the Board Room of the Central Office. There will be a Work Session held at 5 p.m. before the Board Meeting. The Board Meeting and the Work Session will be live-streamed. A link will be posted on the TCS website at 4:45 p.m. on November 16, 2021.