From The Tribune staff reports
FULTONDALE — One person has been hospitalized after a house exploded in a local neighborhood Sunday night.
Fire officials believe the explosion was caused by a gas leak. The incident occurred in the 1600 block of Elkwood Drive in the Timber Trails neighborhood, which had been cordoned off by police to facilitate pedestrian traffic as the area is popular with children on Halloween.
Young trick-or-treaters were the first to notify authorities of a smell of gas. The blast happened a few moments later.
No trick-or-treaters were injured, said Fire Chief Justin McKenzie. However, he did tell AL.com that one worker responding to the gas leak was transported to the hospital with minor to moderate injuries. No firefighters were injured either.
McKenzie said around 200 people were in the area at the time of the explosion. He added that a total of around 800 usually visit the neighborhood on Halloween night, coming from all over north Jefferson County to trick-or-treat.