By Tanna M. Friday, Managing Editor
TRUSSVILLE — The Trussville City Council was called to order on Tuesday, December 10 for their regular meeting. With a light agenda, Council members Lisa Bright, Ben Short, Perry Cook, and Mayor Buddy Choat moved through necessary city business before the holidays including new hires and training for several departments. In addition to honoring retiring city employee, Teddy Gilmer, the Council approved the creation of the Public Building Authority of the City of Trussville.
According to section 11-56-2 of the Code of Alabama, the Public Building Authorities are governed by the Code of Alabama, and are for the purpose of providing buildings and facilities for lease to and use by the municipality, the county, or any public corporation in the performance of their respective public functions or for lease to and use by the United States, and to invest each corporation organized with all powers that may be necessary to enable it to accomplish such purchase, including the power to lease its properties and to issue interest-bearing revenue bonds.”
In other matters, the Council approved:
- Minutes from Nov. 18 workshop and Nov. 23 regular session;
- Consent Agenda:
- Section X. Auditing Accounts;
- Promote Kasey Graydon to Recreation Leader (Grade 12 – Step 2) effective Dec. 18, 2021;
- Hire Lawrence English as Recreation Leader (Grade 12 – Step 2) effective Dec. 18, 2021;
- Promote Angela Jones to Gymnastics Instructor (Grade 12 – Step 2) effective Dec. 18, 2021;
- Hire Danny Williams and Horace Chambers as Public Works Skilled Laborers (Grade 12 – Step 2) effective Dec. 18, 2021
- Hire Brandon Sullivan as a full time Public Works Unclassified Laborer (Grade 7, Step 4) effective Dec. 18, 2021;
- Authorize Mayor Choat to Sign a Jail Lease Agreement with the City of Leeds, on Similar or Identical Terms to the City of Irondale Agreement;
- Accounts payable;
- Government Finance Officers Association of Alabama 38th Annual Conference & Training for Finance Director Mike Hinson and Senior Accountant Jenny Shipp, Feb 2-4 in Tuscaloosa. $350 per person registration fee plus accommodations;
- Resolution of Barricaded Suspect National Tactical Officer Association Course for Police Officer Jordan Thomas, Jan 17-19 in Brookside. $539 registration fee;
- Fundamentals of Report Writing for Police Officers Sean Roberson and Gregory Fragola, Jan 24 in Pell City. $149 per person registration fee;
- Body Language for Law Enforcement for Police Officer Gregory Fragola, Feb 1 in Opelika. $225 registration fee;
- Traffic Homicide Investigations Level 3 for Police Sgt. Joseph Dunn and Officer Casey Davis, Feb 7-18 in Pelham. $895 per person registration fee;
- Leadership for First Line Supervisors for Police Cpl. Jeremy Dunn, Mar 14-18 in Hoover. $525 registration fee;
- Instructor Certification Class for Aerosol/Chemical, Impact, Flashbang/Stingball for Police Sgt. Ryan Robinson, Apr 4-6 in Columbiana. $795 registration fee; and
- Brick Paver Purchase at Protective Life Stadium for the 2022 World Games for an amount not to exceed $500.
- Proclamation 2021-29 Honoring Teddy Gilmer;
- Ordinance 2021-32 AX to Annex Undeveloped 118 Pamela Drive Lot (R2 property);
- Resolution 2021-67 to Create the City Public Building Authority; and
- Resolution 2021-68 to award bid for Library Janitorial & Related Cleaning Services.
The Trussville City Council will meet for both a workshop and regular council meeting on Dec. 28, 2021 beginning at 5 p.m.