By Crystal McGough, Associate Editor
PINSON – The Pinson City Council discussed upcoming city holiday events, including Veteran’s Day and the Christmas parade, at a regularly scheduled council meeting on Thursday, Oct. 6, 2022.
The council passed a motion to approve a budget for the city’s annual Veteran’s Day Luncheon, which will be an in-person, sit down event at the Rock School Complex on Nov. 11, 2022. The event will begin at 11:30 a.m., and each veteran who registers is invited to bring one guest.
“We’ve talked about having some entertainment there,” Mayor Joe Cochran said. “Also we talked about having a gift like we normally do. This is a plus-one situation: the veteran plus one. It can be a friend, it can be a spouse, it can be anybody you want it to be. But you would call City Hall to get your name on the list for reservations. Additionally, if you have someone who is homebound and can’t make it, you can make that reservation and we will make a to-go plate and bring it out to your car. Just let us know that when you call. Again, that’s a plus-one situation, as well.”
While the council did not confirm an exact amount for the budget, it does include approximately $1,500 for the gifts, as well as the funds needed to have Olive Garden cater the food.
Cochran suggested local artist and Blues Queen of the South DieDra Huff for entertainment, but Councilor John Churchwell said that he had already received some specific requests from veterans planning to attend.
“I’ve already had two or three people that plan to come that requested that we get back the group that … we’ve had for five years in a row,” Churchwell said. “I don’t remember their name.”
City Clerk Marie Turner said that she believes the group was called Three on a String.
The council then discussed the upcoming Christmas parade, which will take place on Dec. 1, 2022, with a theme of “Ugly Christmas Sweater.”
Applications for participation in the parade are expected to be available on the city’s website, www.thecityofpinson.com, by Tuesday, Oct. 11.
In other business, the council approved:
- Ordinance 2022-21, changing the zoning classification of property at 4364, 4374 and 4384 Pinson Blvd. from Commercial (Town Center) to RM (Residential Medium)
- Ordinance 2022-23, amending Section 7.20 of the Pinson Zoning Ordinance, concerning Mobile Food Units
- Ordinance 2022-22, concerning the permitting and regulation of Mobile Food Units in the city of Pinson
- Resolution adopting the Division “G” Multi-Jurisdictional Hazard Mitigation Plan, in fulfillment of the Federal Disaster Mitigation Act of 2000 and the local mitigation plan requirements of the 44 C.F.R. Section 201.6
- Motion to authorize $7,850 to paint a house owned by the city at 7520 Faucett Road, for the purpose of on-site management of the Pinson Sports Complex
- Motion to authorize $38,521 for solar lighting at Pinson Sports Complex
The next Pinson City Council meeting has been moved from Thursday, Oct, 20, to Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2022. The council will meet at City Hall at 6:15 p.m. for a pre-council work session, followed by a 7 p.m. council meeting.