By Hannah Curran, Editor
TRUSSVILLE — Several Trussville City Schools (TCS) members and students were recognized during the Board of Education (BOE) meeting on Monday, Dec. 12.
During the meeting, the Trussville City Schools Foundation Grant also presented awards to Hewitt-Trussville High School teachers. Executive Director Leslie Armstrong, Melissa Donaldson, Brad Wideman, Kendra Rushing, and Heather Johnson were present for the grand award.
“It’s the most wonderful time of the year as we give back to TCS,” Armstrong said.
Missy Lynam received a $1,500 grant for “Yoga in the Classroom.” Amber Benson received a $1,500 grant for “Improving Educational Impact Through Community Engagement.” Dena Dechellis received a $1,111.55 grant for “Sensory Classroom Overhaul.”
The board also recognized and congratulated the TCS Teachers of the Year.
- Cahaba Elementary School – Amy Prickett, School Librarian;
- Magnolia Elementary School – Rebecca Waylander, Kindergarten Teacher;
- Paine Elementary School – Maggie Burns, 5th Grade Math, and Science Teacher;
- Hewitt-Trussville Middle School – Erin McGuyer, 7th Grade Social Studies Teacher; and
- Hewitt-Trussville High School – Jennifer Coleman, AP Language Teacher.
Also recognized during the meeting was the Hewitt-Trussville Middle School Girls Bowling Team Metro Champions. They finished the season with a 12-0 record. The team members are Emery Edge, Annie Georgia, McKenzie Martin, Isabella Nero, and Sophia Shipman, coached by Daniel Adamson.
The board also heard from AASB Dr. Michael Barber about what to expect with the superintendent search. He said all the information about the superintendent search could also be found on the system’s website.
“I believe this will be one of the easier searches I have ever done,” Barber said. “When you start talking about Trussville, I truly believe that people are going to line up.”
Barber said that they would have stakeholder meetings. Which means they will meet with local government officials, the community, and parents; it’s directed at any stakeholder that wants to meet and will have an opportunity.
AASB will also have an online survey on the website on Jan. 5, 2022, through Jan. 13, 2022, allowing people to fill those out and make comments. Then, Barber will return to the board on Jan. 23, 2022, and present the information found during the surveys and meetings.
Each board member starting on Tuesday, Dec. 13, will meet one-on-one with Barber to give their input.
“Dec. 13 is a big day because it’s the day that the superintendent search launches,” Barber said. “We will start advertising the position on Dec. 13.”
Barber will meet with the community at the BOE building on Jan. 12, 2022, starting at 11 a.m. Barber said he would hold another meeting from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. for anyone who missed the morning meeting. Then, he will meet with TCS faculty and staff.
The application deadline for the superintendent search will end on Jan. 3o, 2022.
“Then the next part of that process is we will take all of the applicants, and the School Board Association, there will be three of us, will look at everything that you’ve told us and look at everything that the board has told us, and we’ll take what is important to you, and we’ll start screening those applicants,” Barber said.
Then Feb. 20, 2022, through Feb. 28, 2022, the interviews will take place for the next superintendent. So the projected start date for the next superintendent is around Apr. 10, 2022.
“We will people applying from out of state,” Barber said. “This is not a novice position; this is a destination position.”
In other matters, the board approved the following:
- Approve Accounts Payable for: October 2022 and November 2022;
- Approve Payroll for: October 2022 and November 2022;
- Approval Financials for: October 2022 and November 2022;
- Approve Board Minutes for Nov. 1, 2022, Work Session and Board Minutes for Nov. 10, 2022, and Board Minutes for Nov. 28, 2022;
- Approve the following policies:
- Board Policy 6.15.1 Use of Video Surveillance Equipment;
- Board Policy 6.15.2 Canine Searches;
- Amended Board Policy 5.01.1 Teachers as Bus Drivers;
- Approve the following field trips:
- HTHS Leadership HT to Orlando, FL;
- HTHS Soccer to Sevierville, TN;
- Amend HTHS Wrestling Team to Auburn High School to school bus transportation;
- Approve bid for installation of LED lighting at Trussville Middle School Tennis Courts to Titan Electric;
- Approve agreement with Concord Theatricals Music for Spring Performance;
- Approve facility usage agreements for:
- Lacrosse/Soccer/Flag Football for two fields at middle school effective Jan. 3, 2023, ending Apr. 27, 2023 (calendar attached);
- HT Baseball Camp December 27-28, 2022;
- Approve Bid 23-02 for Milk and Related Products awarded to Forestwood Farm;
- Approve the following Employee Research Requests for higher degree:
- Under $50,000 repainting lines on track at HT Stadium with AMC Athletic Marking Company;
- Approve Bus Bid 23-01 with low bidder Southland International for the diesel bus and Blue Bird for the alternate gasoline bus. We will purchase three diesel buses from Southland International and two gasoline buses from Blue Bird;
- Approve Organizational Review Proposal/Agreement;
- Approve Amendment to Lathan Architects Contract;
- Approve Greater Birmingham Soccer Officials Association Contract for the 202 Soccer Season;
- Approve Book Systems, Inc. for Atrium and Booktracks Annual Support and Maintenance;
- Approve Bid 23-02 for TCS Athletic Turf Chemical Application awarded to Owens Landscaping Group;
- Approve Memorandum of Agreement with the University of West Alabama for Instructional Leadership Program;
- Approval of superintendents recommendations regarding changes in personnel, contracts, extra services, stipends, and supplements;
- Superintendent Search;
- Discussion of Superintendent Search;
- Amend employment contract;
- Place Board Policy 3.16 CNP Procurements and Charged Meals on the table for a 1st reading; and
- Place 2023-24 System Calendar on table for 1st reading.
The board also voted that an HTHS student be expelled for the remainder of the 2022-23 school year and be placed at the Alternative Learning Center. The student must reappear before the Student Signup Committee in Mar. 2023.
The January Monthly Board Meeting will be held Monday, Jan. 23, 2023, in the Boardroom of the Central Office at 6 p.m. In addition, there will be a Work Session at 5:00 p.m. before the Board Meeting. Both the Work Session and the Board Meeting will be live-streamed. The link to the livestream will be posted on the TCS website by 4:45 p.m. on Jan. 23, 2023.