Clay recognizes ‘historical importance’ of Bryant Park
By Gary Lloyd
The proclamation recognizes the park as one of the oldest amateur ballparks in the United States, where longtime residents remember baseball games there as early as 1905, bringing people from Center Point, Clay, Mt. Pinson, Roebuck and Trussville.
The park property was owned by a local resident until 1956, when the Chalkville Civic Club, which was established to secure utilities and redevelop the park, bought 5.1 acres.
The civic club made improvements from 1956 to 1973, including a small building for use as a meeting place for its members and Boy Scouts. When the Chalkville Civitan Club organized in 1973, it made major renovations that included a softball field, tennis court, playground and enlargement of the building.
The park was renamed Chalkville Bryant Park in recognition of a local resident who donated money to buy 1.9 acres of road frontage, bringing the Online viagra park property to seven acres.
The Chalkville Civitan Club then donated the property to the city of Clay in 2007.
A building with restrooms is planned for the future, according to www.clayalabama.org.
Contact Gary Lloyd at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GaryALloyd.