fbpx
You Are Here: Home » Metro/State/Nation » Chlorine leak causes scare in Pelham

Chlorine leak causes scare in Pelham

From The Trussville Tribune staff reports

PELHAM, Ala. (AP) — Authorities have asked residents to stay inside after a chlorine leak was discovered near homes and businesses in Pelham.

Pelham Fire Chief Tim Honeycutt said a worker discovered a leaky container containing about 150 pounds of chlorine gas inside a water treatment station Wednesday. He said a resident had called after smelling something unusual in the area.

One person was sent to a hospital with breathing problems, but no serious injuries were reported.

The chief said workers were able to fix the leak. But city officials asked residents of a nearby neighborhood and businesses to shelter in place and to avoid going outside until the gas dissipated.

Exposure to chlorine gas can cause breathing problems, burning eyes and nausea.

 

Scroll to top