By Tanna M. Friday, For The Tribune
IRONDALE — The Irondale Council met on Tuesday evening for their regular scheduled meeting recognizing participants of Irondale’s first Young Entrepreneurs Day.
The City’s Young Entrepreneurs Day took place on Saturday, April 16, in the Shades Valley High School Gymnasium, showcased more than 24 young vendors, ages nine (9) to 20, in the areas of art, jewelry, custom apparel, baked goods, beauty products, and more. Some vendors also showcased and booked appointments for photography, handyman, and DJ services.
Mayor James D. Stewart, Jr. presented a $500 award from the Irondale Community Foundation to the top business in each of three school-level divisions. These winners included
Mason Byers’ DJ Services and Flavored Popcorn in the Elementary School Division; Antonio Jones, Jr.’s AJ’s Lemonade in the Middle School Division; and Michael Campbell’s Devoted Christian Clothing Company.
PostScript Branding Company presented winners of the Outstanding Branding Awards with a $100 award to London and Logan Pettway’s Custom Jewelry and Accessories, Navielle Woods’ New Beginnings Art, and Kenya Marche’ Wood’s Icy Exclusive Beauty Products.
The People’s Choice Award winners were presented with a $100 award provided by the Irondale Chamber of Commerce. The People’s Choice Award was presented to Aniyah Robinson for Exclusive Winks Lashes. The Jump Start award was presented to Ethan Hudson, Stop Motion Studios. The Social Impact Award was presented to Jacob Hutcherson, Shoe Restoration, and Homemade Candles.
During the Mayor’s report, Stewart announced plans for a city storm shelter, which will be paid for through the county’s general fund.
“Jefferson County will be providing the City of Irondale with free storm shelter,” Stewart said. “The location has been found, Commissioner Joe Knight and I have been discussing details and will update the public of the status coming soon.”
In other matters, the Council approved:
- Minutes of the regular city council meeting on April 5 and special council meeting on April 12;
- Current bills for payment $164,382.08;
- Resolution 2022-R-63 authorizing the execution of an agreement with The Finish Coat LLC in the amount not to exceed $8,000.00 for work in the Water Department/Inspections Building located at 1801 Crestwood Blvd and in the Revenue Department located in City Hall;
- Resolution 2022-R-64 authorizing Mayor Stewart to execute an agreement between the Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT) and the City of Irondale regarding Project Number IM-I020(365) striping project;
- Resolution 2022-R-65 authorizing the execution of an agreement with The Greater Birmingham Humane Society;
- Resolution-R-66 accepting the audit for FY2020-21;
- Resolution-R-67 approving public events for 2022;
- Resolution 2022-68 establishing the City as a Public Aircraft Operator; and
- Ordinance 2022–5 amending Section 2(b) of Ordinacne No. 856-91 being an ordinance for the Levy and Assessment of Rental Tax in the City of Irondale.
Irondale City Council meetings are held every first and third Tuesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. City Council meetings take place at City Hall located at 101 20th Street South. The next Council meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 3.