By Nathan Prewett, For the Tribune
MOODY – The Moody City Council introduced Willie Strickland Jr. as the 2023 Christmas Parade Grand Marshal during a meeting on Monday, Nov. 13.
“The parade committee each year selects a grand marshal that gives back to the community,” said Mayor Joe Lee.
Strickland is the owner of Divine Fitness, which he said is a faith-based establishment that acts as a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit ministry.
“Kids and anybody else that wants to can come and work out for free,” he said. “And we have food for anyone who wants to eat, water and things of that nature. But the biggest and most important thing is we have Bible study on Wednesday nights.”
He said that Divine Fitness started out at the defunct Club Fitness building with around seven to eight children and has grown to having 35 to 50.
He added that he and his staff hope to acquire a new building due to their increased membership.
Later, the council approved a resolution to authorize the city to enter into a contract and purchase a property adjoining the civic center and the upcoming museum site on Civic Center Drive. The property consists of two parcels.
“It’s part of our 20 year comprehensive plan to move the city center that way,” said Lee. “And so we’re trying to buy the property so we can manage it years down the road. It’s just part of the growth of that area and we want to be in control of the property that touches our civic center.”
The purchase was made for $500,000.
In other business, the council:
- Purchased a replacement event tent with logo and table set for the police department in the amount of $2,500,
- Approved a request from Fire Chief Larry Horton to purchase medical supplies for $2,100,
- Approved a request from Park and Recreation Director Mike Staggs to purchase a set of tires for a vehicle for $964,
- Approved Staggs’ request to purchase rye seed for the athletic fields for $1,480,
- Approved a request by Public Works Director Steve Mitchell to purchase asphalt patch,
- Passed a resolution to calling the city’s table general obligation warrant, series 2021-B for optional redemption in full on Nov. 21, and
- Approved City Clerk Tracey Patterson to attend the 2023 Municipal Clerks Annual Conference for an amount not to $1,300.
Meetings are held on the second and fourth Monday of every month at 6 p.m. at Moody City Hall on 670 Park Ave.