fbpx
You Are Here: Home » Local News » JefCoEd announces building construction plans in Grayson Valley and renovations at Erwin, Pinson and Rudd

By Tanna Friday
For the Tribune

Writer’s Note -When I learned there were rumors that the “Eagle Wall” at Erwin High School was going to be torn down and then heard of this summer’s demolition of the school’s football stadium, I took it personally. You see, my sister and I were graduates of Erwin High School, so I decided to get some answers from the Jefferson County Board of Education (JefCoEd). Here is what I discovered.

JEFFERSON COUNTY –Last week, Jefferson County Board of Education (JefCoEd) released its plans for a $200 million capital outlay plan expected to extend into the next three years. This plan outlines the addition of seven new schools and the renovation of nine current schools in the district.

Superintendent of the Jefferson County Board of Education, Dr. Craig Pouncey, explains that the purpose of this project is two-fold.

“The capital outlay plan will eliminate the use of seventy-five (75) portable classrooms and replace the older, worn-out elementary schools in the district,” says Dr. Pouncey.

The plan addresses the many safety concerns of those schools built before 1970 which currently affects over 10,000 students.

Phase I includes construction of a new elementary school in the Grayson Valley area. Dr. Pouncey reasons that this additional school, noted as the Eastern Area School, will allow JefCoEd to eliminate the 12-year-old interim Pinson school zone.

“We currently have two elementary schools in this area including Chalkville and Clay. With this proposed addition, we are discussing the idea of a “Choice Option” with a thematic focus regardless of where the student resides,” Dr. Pouncey adds.

The superintendent provided three choices currently under consideration: traditional, arts and STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math). This addition will also address the serious over-crowding in these fast-growing areas of the county.

In addition, Phase I proposes school additions and renovations, including the demolition and remodeling of Erwin Middle School’s (formally Erwin High School) buildings and athletic field as well as Center Point High School and Pinson Valley High School’s athletic fields, and the renovation of Rudd Middle School.

Dr. Pouncey says the capital campaign was made possible through the passing of this year’s ad valorem tax benefiting school districts in Jefferson County. On March 7th, more than ninety-two percent of voters approved the $100 million property tax collection that supports the district.

Although the Board has not made plans for the construction projects just yet, Dr. Pouncey says, “We had already begun preliminary necessities for full implementation for the capital plan,” referring to the June demolition of the Erwin High School stadium.

There are several legal matters pertaining to JefCoEd moving forward with this project and Dr. Pouncey is confident their proposal will gain approval for these improvements.

The finances for such an aggressive endeavor is still being finalized and will include selling bonds this fall. Once plans have been established, the Board will involve all community stakeholders for collaboration on these projects.

As far as Erwin’s “Eagle Wall”, Superintendent Pouncey assured me that no plans have been made regarding its removal.

Current fields which will be renovated for Erwin Middle and Center Point High.

Demolition of Erwin old stadium still in progress preparing for JefCoEd capital plan

Comments

1. The new school in Grayson Valley will filter to where?

2. Jimmy Goeb says:

Where at in Grayson Valley?

3. Matt Clay says:

How about renovation to CCHS. if any school deserves it, it needs to be CCHS

4. Matt Clay says:

Currently Grayson Valley goes to Pinson. I would assume that will not change unless city of Clay may zone GV into Clay city limits

5. This school will be to relieve overcrowding in Chalkville elementary. So they will go to CCMS. Same students that would have come here anyway.

6. Grrrrr. CCMS & CCHS need some relief!

7. Matt Clay says:

After actually reading the story, they will allow students to choose which school they wish to attend

8. Pinson is very old. Has not been renovated much in a long time.

9. Well I saw that they were considering the choice plan but I wasn’t sure what the choices would be.

10. CCHS is only about 20 years old. If ANY high school needs renovation, it’s PVHS!

11. They haven’t disclosed the location

12. Matt Clay – no, the HIGHLAND sector goes to Pinson. The GOLF course side goes to Clay

13. Matt Clay says:

PVHS had renovations and a fine arts building addition I think about 10 years ago

14. Either way, I have to believe all 3 schools will then feed into Clay-Chalkville.

15. Amy Lovell Blalock as does Pinson.

16. Unless they are buying up and demolishing homes, the only place that would make any sense would be in the kudzu on Chalkville Mountain Road.

17. Matt Clay says:

Other than Athletics Bldg and new turf (which city paid half) the main building has not had crap done to it in past 20 yrs. The colors on the inside are aqua/teal and purple tiles, not even the school colors

18. CCHS has gone through tons of renovations over the last few years.

19. Matt Clay says:

Not to mention how bad it looks on the outside

Shades Valley was built about the same time and CCHS got the raw end of the deal when those two schools were built

20. Matt Clay says:

Jeremy, you are completely wrong

I graduated from Hewitt in 97, CCHS first year. Plenty of friends and wife went to clay, two kids that went to Clay. It has not had anything added but Athletic Bldg. The softball parents had to build the softball field at the school not the school system and just last year got a permanent fence put up with help of city not school system

21. Matt Clay says:

The middle school had a girls gym addition and wrestling room addition a few years back but not the high school

22. And Center Point has room that they don’t use….

23. Matt Clay says:

Amy, on another site I had some GV parents say part of those on Golf course side were zone pinson. Sorry if I misunderstood them or thought wrong

24. Nick Pearson says:

Matt have you been by CCHS in last two months they have completely redid the outside and completely painted the inside to match school colors.

25. Matt Clay says:

Well if that the case then I stand corrected. My daughter graduated in 2016 and I started homeschooling my son this year

26. Matt Clay says:

If a ll they did is throw paint on walls, I don’t call that renovations. That is just maintenance

27. Chris Clark says:

CCH definitely needs some relief. Most schools around are jam packed.

28. Jeremy Horton that would be a nightmare for traffic

29. Amy Lovell Blalock nobody want to go to CP schools. I live in CP. The kids in my neighborhood, Parkway Estates, go to Pinson schools.

30. Kevin Small says:

I really regret not voting to form our own school system 10 years ago.

31. Sharon Blackwood Wilbourn I get it…

32. I agree Jimmy Goeb, but off the top of my head it’s the largest open space left in Grayson Valley.

33. Matt Clay says:

BTW, I seen the plans for new softball field and new turf at PVHS. Paid for by school system. Like I said before, softball field at CCHS was built and paid for softball parents, with donations and some help from city of Clay, not school system.

34. Scott White says:

Maybe a new middle school or High school in Grayson Valley. That would be great as well.

35. Scott White says:

Matt Clay exactly and softball does not get crap.

36. Briana Moore says:

So CC schools are now going to be open to anyone to attend?

37. Erwin Middle needs it worse than any schools I’ve seen or been in…hope it gets more than just a bandaid!

38. It’s all in need of big help at Erwin I’m 60 and went there so it’s been around!

39. Please don’t remove the eagle.

40. Jimmy Goeb says:

They can buy my house

41. Baseball got the same treatment. We didn’t have power to run field lights for months! All maintenance done by parents and coaches

42. TiJuana Duke says:

We definitely need them 🙌🏽🙌🏽

43. Eric Leslie says:

Parkway Estates has been zoned Pinson for 30+ years

44. Eric Leslie says:

Erwin Intermediate is using the old middle School gym and old middle School classrooms that are nearly 50 years old or more…

EIS isn’t even on the list

45. I am aware of that but this post really has nothing to do with Parkway Estates. LOL

46. Matt Clay not all of Grayson Valley goes to Pinson. The country club side is zoned CC not Pinson.

47. Erwin intermediate did get a new building but they are using some of the old buildings & the gym is awful that’s for sure!

48. Starisha Holloman Vaughn Pamela Steele Latonya Bolden

49. It will only be successful if they get Bell out of Birmingham and clean up those streets. I’m from Trussville. We moved further north to get as far away from Birmingham as humanly possible but still be in the state. Fewer and fewer want to stay in surrounding areas because of the violence and drugs flowing from Birmingham.

50. Ron Hyche says:

Pinson Valley High has had many renovations since 2010. They have a new field house which was finished in 2010,remolded softball and baseball complex where people would not have to walk in mud at the softball complex. Remodeled the football stadium which made it accessible for everyone with an elevator installed for access to the downstairs concession area with no help from the City of Pinson or Joe. New fine arts building, lunchroom remodeled,new football and soccer practice field. New accessibility to the greenhouse area. The football field was improved two years ago. Purchased land for a new softball complex a couple years ago. There have been many improvements at Pinson Valley High in less than ten years. Is a new softball and baseball complex going to be built now and the football field getting artificial turf?

51. Ron Hyche says:

Matt Clay How does the handicapped get to the Clay softball field? Do you talk to the parents or boosters on how to make arrangements for handicapped accessibility to the softball complex or to JefCoEd? Also where do the handicapped park for a Clay football game in 2017?

52. Matt Clay says:

Handicap access is at the LF foul pole.

I was thinking there is some handicap spaces at parking area.

Blame school system for it. Parents worked with what they had to work with for softball field

53. They need a new Kitchen!!!!! At Erwin Middle

54. Matt Clay says:

While I know Erwin middle is old, center Point got a new elementary and high school within last few years. Clay & chalkville area has not had a new school in 20 years

55. The classrooms have window unit air conditioners, you can feel the wind coming through the windows they are so old, the heat in half the rooms barely blow through the vents if at all, & their are leaks all over…you can only put so many band aids on it til they don’t do any good!

56. Its more than big enough… and if anything, would be a perfect location, because of the impact it would NOT have on traffic.

57. Ron Hyche says:

They are wrong at the softball complex. Also the handicap parking spaces in the parking lot for the football game are wrong by ADA standards. Someone needs to check on ADA standards and make some adjustments. We don’t live in the past we all live in 2017 now. This is a prime example of parents doing work at the schools without having knowledge of the building codes. I will give an example: The dugouts at the PVHS softball complex were tore down by the softball parents and they built one back and JefCoEd made them take it down again because it did not meet the codes of Jefferson County. Leave the building on JefCoEd property to JefCoEd not the parents, JefCoEd has qualified people to build the complexes.

58. Matt Clay says:

I agree with you. I’m frustrated I see new schools getting built, school system paying for fancy athletic buildings & fields and then at CCHS the parents have to do fundraisers, get donations, and go to the city to help make improvements for 20 years.

59. Matt Clay says:

I really just hate the design of CCHS when you look at other Jefferson County Schools built like Shades Valley & Gardendale High